Can this built be used for VIVEPRO developments in Unity?

Meratreun

Hello. I'm asking for your assistance to check whether  the following specification can be suitable for VivePro developments in Unity?

CPU: intel core i5 6500

RAM: 8GB

GPU: GTX 1660S OC 6GB

SSD: None

Motherboard: ASUS H110M-C

If it is not, what improvements are needed to make this built suitable for my purpose?

thank you in advance.

@Meratreun,

The i5 6500/1660 is considered a budget gaming CPU/GPU combo so you're going to be limited overall in what you can get out of this PC. It's technically supports Vive Pro but that card is on the lower end of supported GPUs.

The GPU is your weakest link out of all 3 options. When you're developing and editing content - you usually need a more powerful workstation simply because your content will not be optimized for playback yet. This combo can handle a good amount of optimized content but it's not going to be able to handle early builds well.

It should technically work but you don't have the specs of a more expensive workstation and it won't be the same workflow experience as a better workstation. You'll have longer wait times, and low frame rates in preview mode, especially if you're building a demanding PCVR app.

The complexity of your project will influence how much you get bottle necked as well as your ability to optimize as you go.

See https://babeltechreviews.com/entry-level-vr-wars-the-rx-590-vs-the-gtx-1660-super-ti-using-the-vive-pro/

18 minutes ago, HackPerception said:

@Meratreun,

The i5 6500/1660s combo is considered a budget gaming CPU/GPU combo so you're going to be limited overall in what you can get out of this PC. It's technically supports Vive Pro but that card is on the lower end of supported GPUs.

The GPU is your weakest link out of all 3 options. When you're developing and editing content - you usually need a more powerful workstation simply because your content will not be optimized for playback yet. This combo can handle a good amount of optimized content but it's not going to be able to handle early builds well.

It should technically work but it's not really the specs of a workstation and it won't be the same workflow experience as a better workstation. You'll have longer wait times, and low frame rates in preview mode, especially if you're building a demanding PCVR app.

The complexity of your project will influence how much you get bottle necked.

Tbh, the built except the GPU is already assembled by my university. I am allowed just to choose a GPU for now. I wanted to choose RTX2060 but the chance of getting bottle necked is high due to the weakness of CPU. The complexity of projects is not that high and using this system is just temporarily (for few months).  To my conclusion, you somehow recommend upgrading the whole built, right?  if so, what are your minimum upgrade recommendations?  

Tbh, the built except the GPU is already assembled by my university. I am allowed just to choose a GPU for now. I wanted to choose RTX2060 but the chance of getting bottle necked is high due to the weakness of CPU. The complexity of projects is not that high and using this system is just temporarily (for few months).  To my conclusion, you somehow recommend upgrading the whole built, right?  if so, what are your minimum upgrade recommendations?  I'm kindly awaiting answers from your team.