3 in 1 cable

Vaheguru

Hello, I am curious to know if someone can confirm if the Vive kits are shipping with the new 3 in 1 cable?  I contacted customer service via email couple days ago and got a reply that couldn't confirm my question.  The rep stated something about that it depended on what was available at the warehouse.  

This leaves me feeling unsure if I should order the Vive kit plus the 3 in 1 cable as an add-on to my order.  Just don't want 2 sets for no reason, so thought I'd post and see what you all been receiving with your Vive's. 

Thanks for the personal feedback.

I guess it's like any other product out there, people will experience mixed results. I've been reading people say it is an improvement from the original cables in regards to the comfort of the headset.

Didn't HTC decide to release the new cable due to technical issues with the original 3 in 1? That is really my main reason to inquire about it in the first place and if true I think it should be included.

I'm definitely looking forward to see how the wireless option will play out. Should be a game changer for the VR platform.

That's how my Vive came. So I don't actually know how does with the older version goes, but I don't think it's a big improvement. Neither that the older version is faulty. So wireless is what we are looking for. 

Actually I just saw that article minutes ago :

https://uploadvr.com/quark-vr-shows-wireless-vive-streaming/

To what was more suprising was that it's from my Country which is rather a small one, but I have a lot of faith. So we see the end results soon ... Quark or TPcast , naturally If similar performance similar price I would support the product from my country! 

I ordered mine from Newegg on Dec. 27 and received the combined (single, round) cable.  At that time I did not know anthing about the triple-wide version. I have not had tangling be a problem but when I ply room-scale it gets around my legs and seated I always roll over it with the chair wheels even though I don't know how. It's no big deal though in the overall experience.

Without even knowing what the "wireless" solution will be, I rate/predict that version at a 9, the version I have at a 3, and the triple-wide version as a 2.

I would not delay my purchase based on release of wireless. Are we sure they would include it in the base kit anyway? I doubt it. There will have to be batteries, which will need charging, which will give an advantage to the wired version if my primary use is seated, so I can't see the wired version going away just because the wireless arrives.

You got it all wrong my friend. :) So the wireless solution/s are provided by a third party company/s. So basically you have to buy it as a peripherial. Yes there are batteries involved, but while you spend most of the time in VR as seated experience, I believe most of the Vive owners made their choice over Oculus mostly because it does proper Room scale.  In fact as you mentioned, I also did a bit of sitting experience and got the same problem.... the cable went all around the chair. So yep there are as well other cable solutions with retractable cords etc. But the most of the people I know/ talk with in VR games are very interested in the wireless solution.

There are more than one coming, but the undoubtedly the most famous one is TPCast.

No, I got it right. Partially, at least. That's why I gave a wireless solution a 9, sight unseen.

But I thought that OP's next post made it sound like Vive would be releasing a wireless solution. So I was wrong about that part.

I also agree that the main strength of the Vive is roomscale, for me too, that's why I chose Vive. That being said, I also like some of the seated programs like Bigscreen beta, where I'm sitting there watching a movie for two or three hours. I doubt there will ever be a time when I will opt for a wireless connection for that application, just like the PC I'm using right now has an ethernet cable rather than an antenna.

And while I can't wait to get a wireless VR connector, my advice to someone who is on the verge of buying into VR is jump in now, it's cool enough that you won't be disappointed. When you said "save your money", I took that to mean defer the VR purchase. Now I see that what you meant was "SPEND your money and then continue saving your money cuz you're gonna need it for the next doo-dad that comes out that you know you're gonna want, then repeat the cycle, etc etc".  :smileywink:

p.s. Thanks for tip on TPCast. I just checked it out. I'll have to add that to my wishlist. :catsurprised: I could definitely go $250 for that but seems like some major improvements could be available in short time. Might have to let somebody else be bleeding edge on the wireless.

Yeah... I also got confused whit what exactly you were saying :) And yeah I ment for him to save his money on the additional 3in1 cable, and then spend it on wireless solution. 

I would never advise someone to miss that great piece of tech :) 

https://community.viveport.com/t5/Getting-started-with-Vive/Should-I-get-a-vive-now-or-wait/m-p/6011#M140

To answer , as far as I understand it, the newer 3-in-1 cable is gradually replacing the older version as stock runs down. Customer Care won't be able to tell you whether or not you'll get one, because they're not able to see exactly what stock is available in what warehouse. As I understand it, it's a gradual phase out of the original cable.

Having said all that, I'd expect that the odds are good you'll get a more recent cable. As others have pointed out, it might feel nicer, but it's the same 'tech' (as it's... just a cable). It's not tangle-free. (Is that even possible? I was under the impressions cables are put in this world to become tangled. At least that's what my earbuds tell me. ;) )

As well as the wireless solutions others have mentioned here, there's the lower-tech solution of building a 'cable holder' that would attach to the ceiling, which a number of people have done.

Archived