Lihthouse Noise

CaTaPulT

Hello.

One of my Lighthouses has started making more noise than usual, especially when first turning it on (I turn the power off to them when not using them)..... when I first turn it on, it makes a odd sound similar to a computer fan motor that is on it's way out..... once it spins up and warms up a bit it quiets down. Today however it was making more noise than usual after warming up, the 2nd lighthouse is still quiet and has never made this sound. Any tips or do I run this thing until it fails and send it in for repairs (waranty)...... if I do have to send it in, can the Vive run on a single lighthouse for sitting use?

Regards: Jack

If you have a phone capable of it, use your camera to see through the front panel (IR filters on iPhone make this impossible) and you can actually watch/record the internal workings. I don't know if you'll see anything that helps you get an idea of what's going on, but likely the sound is from the rotary axis lasers (which you will see spinning in there)

The Vive doesn't really work with only one base station. Without two, room-scale tracking is not realy possible.

Is the tracking still working properly or are you seeing performance issues?

Thank you,

-John C

Hi John.

No, the lighthouse in question works fine as far as normal use of the Vive. I've not done room scale as of yet since I don't have enough room until I sell my eDrums to get additional space for Room scale. So I have it set for sitting / standing since getting my Vive a month ago.

I have a LG Stylo (lower end) phone so not sure it can do what you mentioned but I can give it a try.

Hi John. I just made a video and uploaded it to YouTube so you can hear the noise the lighthouse makes. You'll have to turn the volume up since the mic on my phone isn't as sensitive as I thought it would be.

Interesting. So the sound goes away after a bit? I can't be certain, but it is my strong suspicion that you're hearing the axis rotor spinning up. It wasn't always like this, was it?

Thanks for the video too,

-John C

Hi John.

Yes, the sound goes away after roughly 15 to 30 seconds after powerup.

No, it was quiet when I first got it, it started making this noise roughly a week ago.

The 2nd lighthouse is fine, is quiet from power on with no noise.

The reson for my concern is I've heard similar sounds to this from computer fans and hard drive motors, once this kind of sound is heard, I've always experienced failure some time later. Kind of a bad motor bushing or bearing noise.

It could be, but there's really no way to tell unless it actually does. If that does happen, we'll gladly do a repair on it. If you got it directly from our store less than 14 days ago, we could also just swap it out right now.

The only other advice I'd give is if you are worried about it going down, maybe order an extra base station now so you'll have it ready and won't lose any play time during repair.

Thanks,

-John C

John Said, My replies in blue......

It could be, but there's really no way to tell unless it actually does. If that does happen, we'll gladly do a repair on it. If you got it directly from our store less than 14 days ago, we could also just swap it out right now.

I did buy it from the Vive store but the Canadian one, I've had my Vive for 4 weeks last friday (can't remember the exact date I ordered it)

The only other advice I'd give is if you are worried about it going down, maybe order an extra base station now so you'll have it ready and won't lose any play time during repair.

Buying a spare lighthouse is not an option since these things are $185 Canadian, unfortunately, I can't afford this just to have a spare.

I'm 58 year of age and retired, the Vive and accessories for it have put me in the poor house! LOL

For now, it seems like it's working, so I'd be hesitant to try to repair it before it's actually lost functionality. If you don't mind the brief sound during start up, it's probably better to just let it be for now. If we have to do a repair, just contact us and we'll do it as per warranty. Otherwise, just keep enjoying your HTC Vive!

Thanks,

-John C

Thank you John.

Agreed, I will keep using it as long as it functions properly. I checked this morning and I ordered my Vive from the Canadian Vive website on April 4th. (it was the 1 year anniversary promotion).

If my suspicions are correct with the kind of noise I hear at power up, my guess is it will start being noisy all the time in the next couple months. Time will tell! LOL :)

Archived