Vive for Research

Hi,

I'm currently doing a research dissertation in the UK on virtual reality, two studies based around VR gaming experiences and one study on the potential for a new VR therapy for specific phobias. I was wondering if anyone here would know how/if I could ask for funding to help progress my research, as all three of my studies will take approximately 3-6 months to complete. The funds that I am seeking for are primarily for hardware costs (e.g. VR-ready computer, Vive headset, and heart rate monitor) along with participant compensation. Thanks!

(I've included a link below for a site that I've been working on to explain my research a bit further, although it's still a work in progress. If you're worried about the link, the site is vrbolton.wordpress.com)

VR Bolton

Hi , 

If you're looking for funding from HTC, that's not generally something we do. We have the VR for Impact program, which might be right for you, but AFAIK we don't do student funding.

That said, never say never. If you have some sort of formal proposal you can send me (unless the website is it), I can see what I can do. In the interim you might want to consider looking for funding a little closer to home.

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply! I do understand that this is a bit of a reach in terms of funding, but I do appreciate all of the information you've given me and will definitely check out the VR for Impact program.

As far as a formal proposal, I have a current draft of my thesis available, although it is a bit lengthy (155 pages total, and a little less than 100 of that is dedicated to a few literature reviews and my research methodology). If you'd like me to send that to you, or for me to draft up a significantly shorter proposal detailing the studies and itemizing the funds needed (or any format that you would deem as a formal proposal), I can submit that to you within a few weeks. Thank you again! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived