VR Lens Lab Inserts

Hi everyone.

Here's my story.

When I first got my Vive, I had read somewhere that getting the Vive lenses replaced was quite expensive so I wanted to protect them since I do wear eye glasses.

I ordered a set of "Hyperkin HTC Vive VR Lens Protectors", Once I got these, I tried installing them, they are different from Cell phone protectors in the way they stick to the lenses instead of just relying on static. I could NOT get these things to go onto the Vive lenses without huge air bubbles since these protectors are flat and the Vive lenses are curved. I did however use the protectors for the front Vive camera (comes in this kit)... needless to say, this was a total waste of money.

In my searches to protect my precious Vive lenses, I found this place "VR Lens Lab" and ordered the plain jane lenses "plano lenses" without any extra coatings (extra cost). I just got them today and am please to say these things work rather well, I was afraid of getting maybe a little extra glare from the space between the Vive lens and the VR Lens Lab lense but no extra glare has been seen yet, so far, it looks just like the inserts are not there.

This company also makes prescription insert lenses for the Vive (Oculus and PSVR), you just put in your prescription information and they will make you a prescription Vive lens inserts so you don't need to wear glasses while wearing your Vive. I've heard mixed reviews online but so far with these Plano lenses (to protect my Vive lenses) I am impressed, next time I see a optomotrist for a new prescription, I may just order a prescription set of inserts.

They are not cheap, I think they ended up costing me around the $70 (Canadian) mark but to protect my Vive lenses, I thought it was worth it.

As I try it out some more in the next few days, I'll report back here if I come across any problems.

Oh yeah, on some review sites, some people say that the inserts will pop out if you play with the IPD adjustment, I've had no problems with this and I have gone from 63.3 to a little over 70 IPD with the inserts staying put. Maybe the bad reviews were a older model and that one didn't stay put very well.

Regards: Jack

Interesting! I'm a glasses wearer myself, and haven't had any real issues with the headset, but obviously it can vary (based on glasses, head size etc!). Thanks for the summary .

One thing to bear in mind is that the headset lens distance can be adjusted. This might not have worked for you, Jack, but here's a video which tells you how regardless:

Hi Stephen.
Thank you, I know all about this adjustment and use it.
So far, after a few hours in the Vive with the lens inserts, I don't really see a difference from not having them, so they are not adding extra glare or other visual effects for me.
This part is for people who wear "Progressive lenses" but would like to be able to see through the full surface of your eyeglasses properly in the Vive..... this is what I did.
When I first got my Vive, I put the Vive on and paid very close attention as to what part of my Progressive lenses I had to look through to see clearly (after setting the IPD to the optimal position). Once I knew what part of the lens I had to look through, I took the Vive off and used a piece of paper with smaller writing on it and put it in front of my face and started extending my arm until the writing came into focus while looking through the same part of the lens as when I was in the Vive. I then took that piece of paper with me to a drug store and started trying out various pairs of reading glasses until I found one that the text was perfect at the same arm distance, comparing a few times with MY glasses to make sure. For me, it ended up being a pair of 2.5 strength reading glasses. So now, before putting on the Vive, I change out my glasses to the readers and everything looks nice and crisp in the Vive. Just thought I would share this since it may be able to help people with Progressive Lenses (bottom for reading, middle for midrange and top for distance).
Regards: Jack

I have the VR Lens Lab prescription lenses for moderate myopia + astigmatism and they work great and are high quality. I have not had them pop off due to IPD adjustment. I like not having my glasses banging around in there, two sets of expensive lenses banging together. 

Archived