Locating a stolen Vive HMD

Hey , I'm really sorry to hear that. (Also, not sure what's going on with the subject, here.)

I've never thought of your scenario before, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no, unfortunately. The lighthouses (room trackers) are essentially 'dumb', so they look for the HMD within their field of 'view'. So if the HMD was powered on and it wasn't within that area, they won't register it. The controllers work in a similar way too, in that they're paired with the headset.

Sorry to tell you but I think you're out of luck in that respect. I hope you manage to either track down the Vive, or get some sort of insurance money? :(

Check Craigslist in your area. 

Give the Serial number to the police and your insurance company when you file your reports. 

Put a dog bowl on your front porch. (Don't actually have to have a dog). 

Once they realise that the unit is no good without the other pieces or just how much its going to cost to buy them they may return to get the other parts. 
The other way is to put an advert on Craigslist selling what they left the chances are the person who has the unit might be stupid enough to want to buy it  if you have the serial number then you got that person. 

If I never copied it down off of the headset, where else can I find my serial number? Surely SteamVR or Viveport records it and stores it in a log somewhere.  I need to be able to find it on my computer somwhere.  I tried to find e-mails from support that might have had it, but was not able to do so..

Archived