Wifi 6 160 hz support

niil

I have a tp-link archer ax90 (6600) router with 160hz channel width support. Available channels 110-128. The computer and many other devices see this network and connect at a speed of 1100 - 1200 mb / s / The helmet does not see this point. Also, when setting the network type to ax only on any channel width, the helmet sees the network, but cannot connect (immediately resets the connection). This is independent of the type of encryption and authorization. What wifi 6 settings does the headset support? Now when connecting in the settings of the business streaming application, the speed is 780 mb / s. It seems to me that this speed may not be enough for maximum display quality and resolution.

You have posted at exactly the right day! 🙂 I just recently have been experimenting with the Focus 3's ability to connect at 6 GHz and also have questions. One thing I ran into Niil is that with a combined single network (one SSID for 2.4/5/6) I'm only ever able to connect at 5 GHz. If I created DEDICATED SSID for only 6 GHz channels, I am then able to connect at amazing 2200Mbps+ speeds. I have opened a case with ASUS to try to figure out why the headset does not "understand" that it should also be able to connect at 6 GHz on that SSID, but I would also like to hear from the Vive team if they have any experience with this? It seems like the Focus 3 doesn't attempt to connect at 6 GHz once it's connected at 5 GHz. I sent detailed logs to ASUS today, if I hear back any ideas or solutions, I will share that here too.

In the meantime Niil if you're able to try creating a separate SSID just for 6 GHz, I'd be interested to hear your experience too!

My router does not support 6GHz, only 2.4 and 5. Wifi6 is based on 5GHz and Wifi 6e is based on 6GHz. Wifi 6e is not currently allowed in my country, so there are no such routers for sale. And those that are on sale in the secondary market have a price of 2 times their official value.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 9:51 PM, niil said:

My router does not support 6GHz, only 2.4 and 5. Wifi6 is based on 5GHz and Wifi 6e is based on 6GHz. Wifi 6e is not currently allowed in my country, so there are no such routers for sale. And those that are on sale in the secondary market have a price of 2 times their official value.

Ah good to know, thank you for the clarification. I've been looking around and also haven't been able to find specifics on the Wifi 6 channel support either, interesting. FWIW when not using the 6 GHz channels, I'm seeing occasional connections from 700Mb-1000 Mb/s, and 1200Mb/s at peak (which matches the max 802.11ax rates my router supports on those frequencies:  WiFi 6 (802.11ax) (5GHz) : up to 1201 Mbps

This may not help you either niil but I found this in a recent press release in regards to 6E, I don't know if that informs what the Wifi 6 spectrum might be too:  "With up to 1.2 GHz frequency range, it is also able to accommodate more than double the number of devices with their own dedicated channels* – for a numbers comparison, going from WiFi 6 (5GHz) to WiFi 6E is going from 25 to 59 separate 20MHz channels or 2 to 7 separate 160 MHz channels."

Something interesting I did find on 6 Ghz connections while trying to locate more info.... "Before VIVE Focus 3 can detect 6 GHz wireless networks, you need to connect the headset to a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network first. You can then scan for 6 GHz networks to connect to."  Does anyone on the HTC know why this would be? I've been working with ASUS the past few days to understand why their "Smart Connect" feature doesn't allow a single 2.4/5/6 GHz SSID when they have a feature called "Tri-Band Smart Connect" that sounds like it should do just that.

You will be able to see 6GHz here if you are in the regions that opens 6E connection.
Due to various local regulations, you have to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz first before you can see the 6GHz, but once it is opened, it will always be there unless you did the factory reset. 
image.png.cb8e59460a4fa629f89d608fd08d6a88.png

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 9:08 PM, C.T. said:

You will be able to see 6GHz here if you are in the regions that opens 6E connection.
Due to various local regulations, you have to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz first before you can see the 6GHz, but once it is opened, it will always be there unless you did the factory reset. 
image.png.cb8e59460a4fa629f89d608fd08d6a88.png

Thanks again CT. 🙂  I've had interesting discussions with ASUS also...turns out their "Tri-Band Smart Connect" that is advertised to allow a single SSID with 2.4, 5, and 6 GHz to behave as one network....does not actually work right now! The Smart Connect steering only has settings for 2.4 and 5 GHz, so I'm trying to get an answer about it eventually negotiating...smartly...between all 3 bands. I don't know if there's something can be done on the headset to let a user prioritize certain networks over others, but that might be a helpful feature. Then I could add profiles for the 6E only SSID, and for the main 2.4/5 SSID, and then the headset could gracefully switch to the Wifi 5/6 SSID when the 6E one is out of range. It seems pretty manual right now. It would also be great to see some more detailed network information in the headset. I'm pretty much having to open VBS to see what connect rate I'm getting - having that info and other network connection details in settings would be most helpful.