eyeglasses

Supersotamies

Agreed with MartinMarty.

I got some plano (plain glass) lenses for my Vive (to protect the Vive lenses), I  ordered a set of prescription lenses from VRsight (they were on sale). I just got these yesterday and they are quite a bit different from the VR Lens Lab ones in the way the plastic lens holders are bulkier and thicker than those of VR Lens Lab. It's nice to be able to use my Vive without having to wear glasses but the thickness of the VRsight lens frames dig into my nose a bit if I bring the Vive in closer to my face (adjustment with the two headstrap rings). So now I might figure a way of grinding down some of the lens frame material so it doesn't dig into my nose.

If your going to consider ordering prescription Vive lenses, get the VR Lens Lab ones, with coatings option, they are more expensive than VRsight but are better designed (frame wise).

Regards: Jack

Update:
I've been using the VRsight prescription lenses for a couple days now and between the nose rubbing (I use a small numbered IPD (63.3) which make these bulky inserts dig into my nose unless I back off the headset using the side rings adjustment (which defeat the purpose of getting these prescription lenses in the first place). And also I've been getting headaches since using these inserts when using my Vive for over a hour. I noticed the VRsight lenses don't have as much of a curvature compared to the VR Lens Lab ones, maybe that's why I'm getting the headaches, the area of focus is very tight (small) and the rest gets blurry. I wear progressive glasses out of VR. So I will keep trying these VRsight inserts for a couple more days and if I can't gets use to them better than it is now, I will take them out and go back to the VR Lens Lab plano lenses and my glasses while wearing the Vive.
Here's that old saying..... you get what you pay for..... if anyone plans of getting prescription inserts, avoid VRsight at all cost, try VR Lens Lab instead.
Oh yes..... When I ordered the VRsight I thought I was buying a American product.... WRONG...... they came directly from China!
VR Lens Lab are European.

wrote:

Update:

I've been using the VRsight prescription lenses for a couple days now and between the nose rubbing (I use a small numbered IPD (6.3) which make these bulky inserts dig into my nose

Oh yes..... When I ordered the VRsight I thought I was buying a American product.... WRONG...... they came directly from China!

VR Lens Lab are European.

Remember when you got your VR Lens Lab shipment? I vaguely remember shipping papers from China for the lenses - not 100% sure. Maybe you planos came from UK. I also ordered cotton sweat  covers for my headset from VR Lens Lab and I believe they shipped from Texas. 

Anyway, that's immaterial. The reason I wrote is: did you typo your IPD? I think that's Inter-Pupillary Distance, in mm, so 6.3 would be like a mouse! Could this be why you are getting headaches? My IPD is like 68 which I think is pretty narrow for an adult male but I have the added bonus of having it like 33.5 on the left and 34.5 on the right, so my nose is actually off-center to my eyes! Eek! It's like something out of VR! :catsurprised:

• 2 months later...

I ordered my first set from VR Lenslab as well. I must have mistaken thier website as I thought I was ordering inserts; they sent me glasses. Which do not work well as they lean back against my forehead and fog up very easlily. They are also slightly blurry compared to my actual glasses. I would not have ordered glasses...I already have glasses that work. When I contacted them about this (and the blame is not completely on them, I probably got confused with their website) they told me to buy a pair of inserts from them. Not helpful. 

I did not see an invoice from them to verify what I purchased until I emailed them later. By this time I was on a bicycle tour in the Pacific Northwest and did not look at the invoice until I got home. It did say "glasses".  Again, I take most of the blame on this instance but their customer service is not very good. No notice from them that a purchase went though, no invoice until I contacted them, no notice that my order had shipped. That is very bad customer service. Although I have recycled the envelope that the glasses came in (which themselves did not have packing; they were loose in the plastic case and had rubbed the frame, luckily not the lenses) I am pretty sure they it did come from China. 

I then ordered a set from VRSight....I have not received them yet but they are coming from HongKong, although again I did not receive shipping notification, and I too thought they would be made here in the U.S. This misconception was from external advertising not from their website. I am now very worried that this purcase was also of no value. Hopefully I will have better luck than what you have mentioned.

If these do not work well I think I will make my own. I have a 3D printer, know how to create STL files using Autodesk Inventor and can use my own prescription lenses as models.

Hi Miles.
Sorry to hear about the messed up order from VR Lens Lab, I like my inserts from them for my Vive.
As for the VR Sight ones, if you use a large IPD, they should be fine, their problem is their insert frame is a little thicker than those from Vr Lens Lab, so if you have a small IPD, the thicker frames may rub (pinch) your nose a little.
I have a new set of VR Lens Lab lenses on their way, this time they are plain (no Rabs and no BluGuard) prescription lenses for my Rift, so I'll be able to compare the Pros and cons of the coatings.
Since you have a 3D printer and know how to do CAD work, you can always use the VR Sight ones when you get them as a guide, tweak the design a little and print some out so they will be more comfortable for you.
All the best to you to find the perfect setup for yourself.

PS: VR Lens Lab come from Taiwan and VR Sight are from China.

Archived