Second controller I pair has awful tracking

oddball

Hello!

I really need some help, I'm completely lost on what's causing this.

The specific issue is that the SECOND controller I pair has absolutely horrendous tracking. The issue is not controller specific. I have tried unpairing them and pairing them in reverse order and the issue remains the same. It seems that the issue is not specific to either controller in this case.

I don't know how the controller tracking is handled so I'm not sure how to proceed with troubleshooting. I have spent hours with HTC support and have reset/reinstalled everything. Nothing solves this.

No matter what, the first controller paired has flawless tracking and the second simply teleports/loses tracking constantly. I haven't tried a totally new environment/PC yet, but will as soon as I can. In any case though, why does one work perfectly and the second hardly works at all?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I'd just like to start having some fun.

Can you share some details about your current setup so we can start to dive deeper into the issue?  Motherboard, USB configuration, as well as OS are the most helpful things to share. Based on your post I have a suspicion that it could be related to your USB configuration. I've seen similar issues resolved with a PCI-E USB card. Support has likely already recommended this but ensure that you've tried disabling the camera via SteamVR and are not on a USB 3.1 port (and try a USB 2.0 if you have one). 

Hey there!

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.

This is the laptop I'm trying to use: https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-GL702VM/

It has reviews that discuss how it performs with the Vive, so I'm betting/hoping that there's no incompatability there. 

I have three USB 3.0 ports and I've tried all of them to no avail. The only device I have plugged in via USB is my Vive. I also have the camera disabled. The laptop is running Windows 10.

I should have a friend coming over with their PC later today, so hopefully I can then determine if it's an environment or secret laptop issue that's causing this. 

Try uninstalling Asus AI suite; it's known to cause some fatal compatiblity issues. You can use USB View to get a better picture of how the Vive is interacting with your laptop hardware. Keep us updated on the results of your test so we can better determine if it's an issue with the Vive hardware or the laptop. 

Maybe mark the problem controller with a piece of tape so you know which controller is which and see if it's always the same controller giving you problems. If it is the same controller, then it may need to be serviced (possibly one of the small ribbon cables within is not making proper contact). I hope you get everything working fine soon.

Regards: Jack

On marking them and narrowing down a problematic controller: after quite a bit of testing it seems that the issue isn't unique to either controller. I marked them by adjusting the wrist straps differently and tested pairing them in a different order and tried playing with them individually. Both controllers work perfectly on their own and go crazy if they're the second controller I pair.

Will look into Asus AI and using USB View in a few hours - thank you for your insight folks!

Hopefully we can figure out just what's causing this, such a frustrating and odd issue.

We'll definitely keep working with you on getting this sorted.  I'm curious (and this may not lead to a solution) but if you go to SteamVR menu, then Settings and select Audio.  In the Default Playback dropdown set it to HTC VIVE HDMI Audio and let me know if that changes the controller tracking behavior you are experiencing.

Just tested out the HDMI audio change, same controller behavior unfortunately.

I couldn't find any trace of Asus AI or similar software on my laptop, so we're all good on that front. I took a look with USB View but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for honestly. Have attached a screenshot of the overview if that's helpful.

Friend will be coming over tomorrow with a computer to test with, will hopefully have some new leads then. Thanks again for your assistance!

Archived