Developing for Vive XR Elite using Unity

Linkone

Hi everyone,

I have been developing in the past for the Vive/ Vive Pro using Unity and I have been happily using SteamVR package for that.
I recently got a Vive XR Elite and I am wondering if need a different package for development.

At the moment I will still develop fullVR, so with this device in mind and considering will be an Android application, what is the sdk that I can use in Unity to get me started?

Also any patreons/youtubers that you would reccomend to browse for references? I am not expecting to do more that controller pointers interaction to start with.

Any ideas and suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

@Linkone

Howdy!

We recommend using wave or openxr.

Wave getting started: https://developer.vive.com/resources/vive-wave/tutorials/getting-started-wave-unity-developers/
OR
Openxr getting started: https://forum.vive.com/topic/12959-tutorial-focus3-openxr-open-beta-getting-started-in-unity/

Both work well for basic interaction and work well. Install the samples and you'll see examples that show the controllers and how they can be used to interact with objects and/or ui 🙂 And don't hesitate to ask questions!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Alex_HTC

Thank you very much for the reply. Another question.

You proposed the two options as alternatives. Considering that I am going to develop full VR experiences as a start, should I just go for OpenXR? What do I need to take into account to make a choice?
Is Wave manadatory for making the android build?

Thank you very much for your reply.