Basestations go grey in steamvr

DUST

I'm also a sim racer, if you have your wheel on and you notice the controllers acting really weird, this seems to be normal with the Vive, it's something that has to do with the throttle, people with flight sticks with throttle controls also have the same problem. I normally don't turn on my Vive controllers when I have my wheel on and am about to race, I just use the mouse and keyboard to get into the game. I use a Thrustmaster T500 wheel and pedals (with a load cell on the brake pedal). Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you have troble with your Vive controllers while your wheel/pedals are turned on. :)

Regards: Jack

Another thing I just remembered, if you have the bluetooth option to turn the base stations off when not being used, maybe try disabling that feature, I had some problems with that and greyed out base stations in SteamVR, I disabled it and everything was fine afterwards. Seems that bluetooth option is touch and go as to how well it works. I have my base stations set to cheap switched power bars, so when I'm done with my Vive, I just hit the switch on the power bar to turn them off, I also have the power brick for the Vive on one of these, I also unplug the USB cable from the computer when I shutdown for the night. This way none of the Vive components get any power when not used. :)

Regards: Jack

I dont have AI suite installed.

Really is just a bare bones install of windows and vive/steam.

I do have a t500RS, which is connected to the intel usb.

Keyboard and mouse run off the asmedia ports.

Only the vive is in the inateck ports.

Not using the bluetooth option this time around, however it happened prior to the reinstall of windows with it both on and off.

Not using the camera.

I also run the basestations/vive from a power board (nothing else plugged into it ) so I can turn off/on all 3 items at once.

UPDATE:

Did a 50 minute practice session in iracing and I didnt catch if it dropped or not ( I dont think it did).

At this current point in time I think it could also be ATS at fault.

UPDATE:

Played The Lab (longbow/xortex) and Ultrawings on and off yesterday.

Eventually Channel B stopped being recognized as on/tracking (grey in steamvr) although it still had sync with A etc. The entire time during play I was facing B, A behind me.

Restarting SteamVR made it come back alive.

What the hell?
Why is SteamVR just 'losing' one but not the other?

I could hold the headset directly infront of B and nothing.
Restart SteamVR, all good.

I remember I have seen a thread in Reddit and the OP had similar tracking issue like you.

It turned out the culprit was his celling fan like the link below as it has light fixture or other parts that can impact the tracking. I remember he used a sheet to cover the whole thing then issue went away. Never thought about a celling fan would impact performance. The celling fans being sold in some coutries even come with swarovski crystals as for decoration purposes.

http://ceilingfanmanuals.com/harbor-breeze-dubois-ceiling-fan-manual/

Hope this will help.

Archived