From time to time annoying color vertical lines in one of the lenses - VIVE PRO 2

Hello.

Sometimes when I turn on the Vive console and SteamVR starts automatically  too (with steamVR home) ,  I can see color vertical lines in my right lense. It always happen only in the right one. 

I dont know how can  I connect this problem with.. I ve looked through the web and some people had the same problem or similar one - so they noticed that this issue was gone after 30-60 minutes after turning the headset on. I noticed that too. They suggested it could be connected with incorrect turning off the headset - I mean it depends if you turn off Vive console first and then STEAMVR, or first SteamVR then vive console. In my case I always used to exit steamVR inside the app, then my headset used to turn itself off and then Vive console used to shut itself off automatically too. But sometimes STeamVR or games crash , we all know, then I have to turn off manually the headset first on VIVE link ,  so the windows could unfreeze and work properly.

Can someone from the technical admins tell me what is happening with my VIVE PRO2? 

IMG_7603.JPG

Very helpful support I see.. It seems  that some people have  already had the same problem and nobody from the tech support can help? really?

In my country we call it "taking water in mouth" when some problems happen and nobody wants to talk about it. Pity.   

I managed to solve this annoying problem by following these  procedures:

1- When you finish playing, ALWAYS exit through the Vive Console application, so that a turquoise screen with stars is shown static for a few seconds. Do not close SteamVR first OR turn off your linkbox or pc. ALWAYS log out via the VIVE CONSOLE app. Only then turn off the Vive linkbox.

2- As soon as you finish playing, disconnect the power cable, the USB cable AND the DisplayPort cable from your linkbox. This is because it is not enough to just turn off the Vive Linkbox, as the power SEEMS to continue flowing through the cables (from PC) and "marking" the Vive Linkbox with these multi-colored vertical lines. ONLY immediately before playing again, connect all 3 cables back to the Vive LINKBOX. Finished the playing? Disconnect the 3 cables.

To remove these lines, you will have to "play" for at least 1 and a half hours for them to start disappearing from the LCD panels. After 2 hours, they will disappear completely.

IF YOU FOLLOW these 2 procedures I told you about, I GUARANTEE  that you will NEVER have THIS type of problem again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, Lockwood_bra said:

1- When you finish playing, ALWAYS exit through the Vive Console application, so that a turquoise screen with stars is shown static for a few seconds. Do not close SteamVR first OR turn off your linkbox or pc. ALWAYS log out via the VIVE CONSOLE app. Only then turn off the Vive linkbox.

2- As soon as you finish playing, disconnect the power cable, the USB cable AND the DisplayPort cable from your linkbox. This is because it is not enough to just turn off the Vive Linkbox, as the power SEEMS to continue flowing through the cables (from PC) and "marking" the Vive Linkbox with these multi-colored vertical lines. ONLY immediately before playing again, connect all 3 cables back to the Vive LINKBOX. Finished the playing? Disconnect the 3 cables.

To remove these lines, you will have to "play" for at least 1 and a half hours for them to start disappearing from the LCD panels. After 2 hours, they will disappear completely.

IF YOU FOLLOW these 2 procedures I told you about, I GUARANTEE  that you will NEVER have THIS type of problem again.

Absolutely this....tried and tested...man you saved my weekends 🙂

also guys take care of your cable....i changed it with a new one and now 120hz like crazy

1 hour ago, shpalman said:

Absolutely this....tried and tested...man you saved my weekends 🙂

also guys take care of your cable....i changed it with a new one and now 120hz like crazy

Which cable mate? that one which goes to the headset? (angled HDMI?) or this one that goes  to the computer?  Why have you changed it? If you mean that cable that goes to the headset i suppose you must have  got another from VIVE because the one of its end is angled so it s a dedicated one. If you write something , describe it, noone knows what  you do have on your mind 

7 hours ago, Cubano said:

Which cable mate? that one which goes to the headset? (angled HDMI?) or this one that goes  to the computer?  Why have you changed it? If you mean that cable that goes to the headset i suppose you must have  got another from VIVE because the one of its end is angled so it s a dedicated one. If you write something , describe it, noone knows what  you do have on your mind 

the most important one...cables from link box to pc are normal cables...the one to take particular care its the 2.0 cable to the headset....

Edited by shpalman

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, Lockwood_bra said:

YOU Sir, are an absolute genius. 🙂

I've read your tipps over at reddit and here and, being an IT and tech person, couldn't believe something like that would work at all. But it did.

Anyway, my story:

I've send my VP2 in for repair to Romania in January for a complete different problem (the good old Vive console freezing that htc never acknowledged).
Bought a second VP2 in the meantime and wanted to keep the old one as a replacement just in case and the warranty for that has ended in February anyways.
Used the new VP2, the old one came back from the repair center with a new cable, put that away in it's original box for easy replacement, in case something happened to the new one.

Now a week ago the nose ruber piececame loose on the new one after only 2 month, HTC denied a warranty repair and wanted 175€ for this little rubber piece and i've sent it back to amazon, getting the whole device replaced by them.
Tried to use the old one, connected everything and had the whole vertical colorful lines thing together with heavy screen flickering.

Support couldn't really help me and i've just tried your solution, using the HMD for a few hours, first on a rather dark game "Ghost Signal: A Stellaris Game" and as you promised the colorful lines mostly went away after 2-3 hours.
The flickering however stayed for another 4-5 hours, but is gone now, too.

Seems like the technicans at the repair center pulled the plug or turned the Linkbox off while they've tested my old VP2 and the pixels froze completely.

End of Story:

The VP2 need to be shutdown the right way, closing the Vive Console so that the "space screensaver" can be displayed and the screens can turn off the right way.
I don't know if the cable pulling is really needed, but i'm using my VP2 almost daily, so maybe that is only the case if you're not using it as often as i do.

Thanks again Lockwood_bra. =)