how can i get rid of smudges and streaks on the lenses?

DjBasA

Yep, thats basically what i'm seeing.

It's not that noticeable in games like the lab and portal stories vr, but it's still there

The effect is most noticable when looking at the steam panels in steamvr home. (Default map)

I can't recall it happening the very first time i treid it, my eyes were very sleepy so i probably didn't notice it.

Could it be that i'm wearing the headset pretty close to my eyes?

I noticed i made a smudge in the upper left corner of the right lense with my eye brow, i also have that happen quite alot with my glasses when i frown. (That smudge was very easy to remove with just the cloth)

The Gif John linked to, what you are seeing are basically god rays, the thing is the Vive's screens are quite bright, I believe it is the brightest HMD on the market thus god rays will show up more depending on the contrast of the VR experience you are watching. Here's something to try for experimentation purposes...... find a VR experience where you see these rays, then in SteamVR settings, turn on "Night Mode" which will darken the Vive screens somewhat, try the same VR experience and see if the rays are reduced or are totally gone. :)

Regards: Jack

God-rays are an unavoidable part of VR gaming, but it can be exacerbated by high-contrast scenes. Another thing you might want to do is adjust the IPD and the distance from your eyes to the lenses. That can help make them less noticable.

Thanks,

-John C

Archived