Stuck on "please wait..."

Rygir

With the Vive desktop software, after launching it the window just says "please wait..." and it stays like that. If I close and re-open the window without closing it from the systray, it tells me it had a problem logging in, then shuts down.

In VR, the Vive environment let's me move around until I hit the new big portal in the middle of the room, whenever I hit that, I can no longer teleport and am pretty much stuck in or near that portal.

If I manage to move through the portal, which is not possible from the normal Vive launch, but only if I launch Vive port directly, I just see three buttons floating in front of me and my controllers giving off pixie dust. There is no interaction I can do here. Nothing to see, nothing to do, except move back to the portal which brings me to the space room from Vive, which is odd since I had it set to the chinese art room. From this place I can't jump through the portal unless I approach it first, and then I can go to Vive port and back again. Neither place has much to do, since the few bookmarks I placed in there have dissapeared and only Steam is visible in a dark corner.

This really needs to be very bug-free if it wants to be a competing platform to steam and it definitly is not.

Hi  - did you make any purchases/downloads in Viveport? I believe seeing the three buttons in the Viveport 'space' means you haven't downloaded any apps.

Thanks for your other feedback. Yep, we have bugs, but we'll be able to fix more of them with feedback like this - so we appreciate it!

wrote:

I was testing using the free content, so there should be something in the library!

There should - assuming you 'purchased' / downloaded it. I know it sounds blindingly obvious, but can you confirm that's the case?

If so, we'll escalate and investigate further. :)

I can add that now the application seems to just work all of a sudden. It was logged in and all apps were downloaded and ready to try. Good stuff.

Oddly enough, it is no longer visible while in VR (i can launch things from the desktop application, but in VR I don't see anything. The list in SteamVR > Settings > applications > dashboard applications is empty.

Hi , glad it's working for you now... but sounds like you found another bug. Can you send me a screen of the settings you're seeing? You're saying the Vive desktop option isn't even there? :smileyfrustrated:

I assume with that setting gone, that would explain the invisibility of Vive Home...

• 5 months later...

I am facing the very same issue described above. The only difference is that it is still not working for me. It did not get "fixed by magic" :)

Something important. I am also a very first time VivePort user. I have been using Steam for a while and just discovered the VIVE icon at the bottom right of the main menu. This took me to the VIVE library where I can see a ton of new apps. I clicked "purchase" on several of them (maybe 15). It indicated that the app was purchased, but did not mention anything about download.

I am wondering if I am not dealing with poor UX. Is is currently downloading the 15 apps I purchased and I just need to wait? Any thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone else that stumbles onto the post. The please wait... Error is because ViveportService.exe is not running. Once started manually from \ViveSetup\PCClient mine works again. Probably needs to be enabled in services.msc

Archived