Vive + RX470

karaokelove

While I've got no direct experience on this, and perhaps someone else can chime in with their views, this is a pullquote from a PC World review:

We still wouldn’t recommend using an RX 470 for virtual reality, but it’s nice to know you can in a pinch.

Apparently it's capable of running VR titles, but only just. More here.

Two RX 470s in crossfire might do the trick, but even then it's not going to be optimal. The issue with the RX 470 is its slow memory clock speed. It's a full 200MHz slower than the RX480. I'd really recommend coughing up the extra $50 to buy a 480 instead of the 470 - your VR experience will really benefit from it. Plus, you'll then be able to get another RX480 in the future for crossfire and better VR performance.

I'm playing on a MSI Gaming X 4GB RX470. Core OC'ed 4% (1292 Hz). It gets 6.4 in the SteamVR Performance Test.

Most games are playable. Stutters happen in some though.

Here's my experience with some games on their default graphics settings. I haven't touched SteamVR's supersampling.

Smooth or mostly smooth: A-10 VR, Audioshield, The Brookhaven Experiment, Destinations, Holopoint, H3, The Lab, Onward, Pool Nation VR, SoundStage, Space Pirate Trainer, Surgeon Simulator VR, theBlu, Tilt Brush, VR Ping Pong, Whirligig.

Laggy: Budget Cuts Demo, Hover Junkers, Universe Sandbox 2, Vanishing Realms (OK at the first level, bad at the second).

Unplayable: Raw Data (couldn't get past the menu, keeps frozing for seconds - probably some performance bug, not just RX470's fault), Project Cars.

I'm thinking of getting GTX 1070. But RX470 definitely can provide an introductory experience.

Archived