Vive Software Not Installing

jas75249

I got my vive hard ware setup, downloaded the software and tried to install it. I can get anywhere between 1 to 19% before it wants me to sign in. I thought this was strange because what software wants you to sign in in the middle of an install but what the heck. I click sign in and it crashes. Get a message saying something went wrong and I click try again only to be meet with the exact same crash message of the HTC identity authenticator stopped responding. Saw several things about this saying you dont need it (screw that I want my free fallout 4 VR). So I already had steam installed so I installed the steam VR separate of the vive software only to be meet with yet another error saying it wasn't ready. I have tried the install with a clean boot and get the same message, Is there a fix for this or should I seek a refund?

Hi . First of all, just FYI - you do not need Viveport installed to install Fallout 4 VR.

Have you already redeemed your content code? (That would be the code inside the Vive's packaging.) If you have you should have been sent a Fallout 4 Steam key, as well as a Tilt Brush code. The Steam key needs to be redeemed in the Steam client.

Now, to redeem Tilt Brush, you will need Viveport.  Can you give us more details on the error "saying it wasn't ready"? A screenshot would be ideal. If Steam is working for you, you should still be able to play Fallout 4 VR.

Hi @jas75249. First of all, just FYI - you do not need Viveport installed to install Fallout 4 VR.

Have you already redeemed your content code? (That would be the code inside the Vive's packaging.) If you have you should have been sent a Fallout 4 Steam key, as well as a Tilt Brush code. The Steam key needs to be redeemed in the Steam client.

Now, to redeem Tilt Brush, you will need Viveport.  Can you give us more details on the error "saying it wasn't ready"? A screenshot would be ideal. If Steam is working for you, you should still be able to play Fallout 4 VR.

Hey again. Yes, you can run SteamVR titles without the Vive software being installed. The issue you're seeing here is related to SteamVR, not Viveport (which is what you're trying to install).

Error 108 is usually an issue with USB drivers. This is SteamVR's troubleshooting page which details some steps to take. Here's their troubleshooting steps:

This error may be a USB driver issue. Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

Reboot your headset:

1. Right click on the headset icon in SteamVR.
  2. Select Reboot Vive Headset, and wait while the reboot process completes.

Power cycle your Link Box:

1. Quit SteamVR
  2. Unplug the Power and USB cords from the PC side of the Link Box (not the orange side).
  3. Wait a few seconds, then plug the Power and USB cords back into the Link Box. You may see more drivers install. Wait for this process to finish.
  4. Launch SteamVR.
  5. Repeat steps if needed

Restart your computer (Quit Steam VR before shutting down your PC)

Plug your Link Box into a different USB port on your PC:

1. Try plugging your Link Box into a USB 2.0 port, as some USB 3.0 and 3.1 chipsets can cause issues.
  2. You can also try a USB port that's already in-use and working - move the other device to another port and plug in your Link Box.
  3. If this problem persists, try resetting your USB devices.

To be clear also - Fallout 4 is not the same game as Fallout 4 VR. If you haven't yet redeemed the code that came in your box, you'll need to do that, get the Fallout 4 VR code, and redeem it in Steam. Here are some details on how to redeem your in-box code.

Archived