Vive pro missing night mode, has bad "god rays"

dormando

Hi!

Wanted to add some noise here about the Vive Pro having greyed out "night mode" box under steamvr's settings (from within VR; I'm not actually sure where it is from the steamvr settings desktop menu). Is a fix intended/queued/etc?

While playing Elite: Dangerous (a generally dark game with some bright elements), the "god rays" are much worse than the original vive. Columns of light stream from bright elements all the way to the center of the screen.

What's odd is the columns are muted in the left display, but much brighter in the right display.

The simplest way to reproduce is to open the blank "this is real" steamvr room and look down so the pure-white floor is in the bottom 5th-6th of the display. The entire bottom half of the screen flushes with white circles.

Bright games or uniform coloring seems okay.

Thanks!

EDIT: SteamVR beta as of 04/09 4pm has night mode for the pro. Gave it a very quick test and it seemed to work. God rays were muted but still there. Haven't tried elite with it yet.

To be clear, you're saying the  god-rays should be reduced by changes to the compositor software?

Any real rough timelines on these software updates? (audio, display brightness, god-rays, etc). Weeks, months, six months? I get eye strain from the rays after 30-45 minutes, so might have to return the Pro and stick with my older model until these are resolved.

Thanks for the quick response! It's great to hear they're being addressed.

I did clean them, yes; and will do so each time I use it just in case. It seems weird the right lense is so much worse than the left. 70% isopropyl dabbed onto the included microfiber should be safe, yes?

The mura profile sounds good, though I thought those were specific to each manufactured headset so I hope they can still be done. Any way to dim the displays a little bit would also be good.

, I think there will be a consistent a lag between when new SteamVR hardware launches and when it's fully adopted into the SteamVR ecosystem - there's lot of interdependencies in modern VR and we're set to see some major ecosystem changes in 2018. Things like overlays and hardware specific settings will take time to be patched to new hardware. I'm not 100% sure about isopropyl from a warranty prospective. Nowadays I tend to stick to wipes specifically designed for optics to be on the safe side. As more users get their Pro and report in, we'll be able to see if any clear patterns emmerge. 

wrote:

As more users get their Pro and report in, we'll be able to see if any clear patterns emmerge. 

Reporting in with the same godray issues. For example, white text bleeds through a black background like this:

Glad I'm not the only one. I mentioned the god rays in my Official Pro Owners thread. I still have my original VIVE headset and after a weekend of comparisons, the rays are noticeably worse on the Pro. As mentioned, in Elite Dangerous it's especially pronounced. Simply looking straight ahead while piloting, the light sources from the current target console slightly to the left and the ship energy console slightly to the right, beams of light project from these light sources into your view. If looking down only an inch or so, tall beams shoot up from the console lights on your seat.

In games that are bright, it's not really an issue, but in darker games it's really, really distracting.

I also have a dead pixel.

As  kindly pointed out, nightmode has indeed been added to the beta branch and you can expect to see it make it over to the main branch in the coming weeks. I suspect that since most apps haven't been optimized for Pro, things like godrays may be more pronounced due to the rendering stack. Since there is increased screen density and resolution, you may not have to drive some graphical elements like white text with as much brightness as you would the the earlier headset - the additional light from these extra pixels could be contributing to the godray effect. If so, developers will catch onto this pretty quickly. 

Archived