VIve Pro not working when connected to laptop through miniDP to HDMI

evolutionventures

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

, I'm in agreement with  - Most 1080 laptops offer at least 1 MiniDisplayPort. In any case, you can still possibly use USB-C but you need to look up your laptop's spec sheet to see if that port supports Displayport 1.2 - not all chipsets do. I've coppied some general info on cables and adapters below. 

The following USB-C to MiniDisplayPort adapter has been tested and confirmed to work on our hardware as well as the Razer Blade and Blade Pro: http://a.co/hUIfOXT . The USB-C output in question must support Displayport 1.2 - you may need to alter your Nvidia settings to chose the Nvida card as the default graphics processor for this to work. Please note that laptops with a 1060 GPU will be GPU bottlenecked when driving the Pro. 

The 3 and 6 foot varients of this MiniDisplayPort ->  MiniDisplayPort cable have also been tested and confirmed to be compatible with Pro: http://a.co/0oBPzW2 

No HDMI -> DisplayPort adapters are compatible with the Pro. The HMDI standard is not able to support the bandwidth requirements of the Vive Pro. 

This USB-C to 3.5mm adapter has also been tested and confirmed to be compatible with Pro.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

, according to their spec sheet: "Thunderbolt™ 3 (2 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3) supporting: Power in/charging, PowerShare, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output, VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately)". 

I'm not really sure what they mean by "Via Dell Adapter" but it does seem like it does have DP 1.2 output albeit it may be locked behind some proprietary Dell adapter. It also sorta sounds like it has a dedicated Thunderbolt/DP port that also doubles as a USB port but it's crazy hard to tell via photos. 

A bigger issue however may be that it seems that laptop only comes in a GTX1050 variant. Do you have a GTX1050? That'd be well below the minimum requirements for a Pro and could be the reason it's not working. 

, according to their spec sheet: "Thunderbolt™ 3 (2 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3) supporting: Power in/charging, PowerShare, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output, VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately)". 

I'm not really sure what they mean by "Via Dell Adapter" but it does seem like it does have DP 1.2 output albeit it may be locked behind some proprietary Dell adapter. 

A bigger issue however may be that it seems that laptop only comes in a GTX1050 variant. Do you have a GTX1050? That'd be well below the minimum requirements for a Pro and could be the reason it's not working. 

• 2 months later...

Vive Pro is a virtual reality headset developed by HTC and Valve Corporation. It uses the room scale tracking technology, allowing you to move in 3D space and use motion-tracked handheld controllers to interact with the environment. Sometimes it does not connect to your laptop properly. If you are using MSI Gaming Laptop and you unable to connect the headset with it then you may visit this link MSI Customer Support to know how to connect with it properly.

, as stated above and on all Vive Pro marketing and sales pages, Vive Pro requires Displayport 1.2+ as part of it's minimum requirements. HDMI is not interchangeable with Displayport 1.2 for high bandwidth applications and no HDMI port, adapter, device, cable, ect is compatible with Pro which requires Displayport 1.2. It looks like this laptop does have a high bandwidth USB-C port but nowhere in the tech specs does it specificallyy say that that port can output a Displayport 1.2+ - it does mention DP in the marketing blurb I screenshoted below so it's confusing at best on their part. Thunderbolt is not the same as Displayport despite sharing the same connector shape (header) and that port specifically needs to output a Displayport 1.2+ signal. 

Your first step is to reach out to Asus to see if that USB-C port can output a Displayport 1.2 signal - if it can then you can try purchasing a USB-C to Displayport Adapter - I wouldn't recommend doing so without talking to Asus first.  If that port does not support Displayport 1.2, your laptop is unfortunately outside of the system requirements for Pro and it will not work. 

Archived