- Reinstall Drivers from VIVE
 - Use all kinds of different HDMI cables

- Using HDMI adaptors

- Disable and Enable DIRECT mode
 - Turn of an on power from the Device
 - Plugin in the HDMI and USB directly from headset ignoring the linkbox

Nothing seems to work, here some pictures

image.jpg

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/195116229315395584/445323851639816202/image.jpg?width=901&height=676

Hi ,

Thank you!

Please go over the troubleshooting steps below:

Error 208 (HMD detected over USB, but monitor not found)

Error 208 is a generic HMD error message. This error can have a number of solutions, so please work from the list below to make sure you've attempted all available solutions:

• Make sure that your Vive’s link box and the monitor or TV you use as a primary display are plugged into the same graphics card. If you are connected to your onboard display adapter, you will see an Intel HD Graphics device listed in your SteamVR system report. Onboard cards, such as those connected to a PC’s motherboard, will not be powerful enough to use the Vive. Reconnect your Vive to your PC’s dedicated graphics card.
  • Check to make sure you are in Direct Mode by going to Settings > Developer > Direct Mode. Click the button that says “Enable Direct Mode.” SteamVR will restart with this setting.
  • If Direct Mode is not enabled, SteamVR will still work in Extended mode. For this to work correctly, make sure your displays are extended in Windows > Display Settings.
  • Make sure all cables are connected firmly. The power cord on the HMD itself can become loose from usage. To check this, remove the cable panel on top of the HMD by pushing it forward.
  • Make sure your Link Box is installed in the correct direction. The orange tipped cables from the Headset should be connected to the orange ports on the Link Box.
  • Check to make sure you have the latest video drivers.

Concur with Hersonrock... looks like you only have one device connected to your graphics card... so that's either your monitor or your Vive using an adapter for some reason... instead of plugging into that HDMI output port right above where your one device is plugged in.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've done all of the above as well, including some others from 5 other posts on Steam and Vive.

I've always used an adapter, and its worked perfectly. Issue Im having now? I stopped using my VR for a bit, put it away, rearranged my PC location, wanted to play Beat Saber again, plugged it in to find out it's not working.

Seems there have been errors on both SteamVR's part and Vive's part. It's possible the cable is totally screwed, because there's no stopping it from twisting up and destroying itself.

Would like to know what steps to take from here? Can I just buy another Vive cable? Is it going to cost me another liver? I spent $800 on this one and I didn't expect it to crap itself after just a little over a year. Especially after not having used it for like 4-6 months. 

- why are you thinking the issue may be related to the cable? If it was fine when you put it into storage, it should be fine when you take it out. It's the PC that's less static and far more likely to be the source of the issue if things had previously worked.

I would recommend doing a "linkbox bypass" in which you bypass plugging the HMD's 3-in-1 cable's USB and HDMI leads (orange tips) directly into your PC/GPU. You'll need to keep the third power connetor plugged in on both sides via the linkbox so the HMD has power. The Linkbox bypass is my go-to first step when troubleshooting Vive CE connectivity issues.  

If you generate a SteamVR System report (SteamVR -> Create System Report), save it, and upload it to something like pastebin and PM me a link, I'm happy to give it an inspection to see if there's anything that stands out as a potential source. 

In my experience, SteamVR doesn't do well with long breaks or when a computer is disconnected from the net for a long time and suddenly receives a bunch of updates all at once. Things like Windows and Nvidia driver updates can be very disruptive to the PC, especially if the version differntial is large. I've had many cases where I've had to clean install windows to fix a SteamVR install on a PC that had been left offline for a while. 

You can really quickly isolate it to being the HMD or your PC by testing the hardware on another VR PC if you happen to have access to one. This is usually the fastest and most direct way to isolate a hardware issue but it isn't practical in in-home use scenarios unless you happen to be a gamer with lots of hardware. 

I'm thinking cable because the headset has always been taken care of, but the cable keeps twisting and no matter what I attempt, it keeps twisting. With any other device used in such a manner, like a gaming headset, the same thing happens and eventually the wire comes apart and it no longer works. 

I have a gaming family, so I was able to attempt to troubleshoot my problems with 5 other PCs. They all gave me the exact same 208 error.

Before doing that, I did attempt the "Linkbox Bypass". Nothing for that either - same error. 

Any other suggestions? I was about to look into the warranty, but I'm worried I'm past due. I got it around the end of January 2018. I might have to look into some cheaper headset options if these headsets only have a 1 year life span :\