still new to this

evannucci

when you are using room scale, lets just say i have a couch on 1 side of the room, does the grid lock show up on the walls or at the point the couch starts closest to me, or does the grid go over the shape of the couch to make an sideways Z kind of shape over it so that i can still interact with my arms above the couch height

Hey !

When you set up room scale, you'll basically 'trace' around the area that's available for you to walk around in. It's recommended (for obvious reasons) that the area you're tracing is clear of obstacles from floor to ceiling, which allows you to potentially put your controllers/arms outside of the bounds of room scale.

What it means in practical terms is that Vive projects a 'box' around you (called our chaperone bounds) which appear as you get close to them. They're guidelines to let you know where things are IRL, but it's still a box, in that it goes straight up and over your head. It doesn't actually have to be square, so if you have an oddly-shaped space (like my home office, which has one weird corner), it can be traced around that.

TL;DR - no, the grid/chaperone bounds don't go 'around' your furniture, but you can still wave your arms over say, a couch. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully this is a place to ask this related question. What if i dont want these grid lines in my view space? Is there a switch to turn them off/on? Or just over trace the furniture and obstacles that would give a bigger space? Then theres the concederation of those IR boxes that project your location in the space, why are they visable in the headset space? Too. Happy dimensional reality.

Hi . It's as good a place as any to ask!

Yes, there are various chaperone settings to alter the effect, all the way up to turning them off completely (Developer setting). Clearly, when you set up room scale you want to trace the biggest space available to you before you get into VR. To alter the chaperone settings you'll access the settings area in VR and select the Chaperone sub-section.

Regarding the base stations, you can also change their 'skins' via the Steam Workshop. There's a whole bunch of choices including some 'invisible' skins, if they bug you. They're basically there to give you a reference point if you need to remember where they are (eg you're having tracking issues).

Hope that helps. :)

Another question on same topic: is it possible to make grid extra visible?  I've hit wall and table several times, playing RecRoom. I pick bright blue color at the chaperone settings and smallest grid, but thats not enough, I still didn't notice it sometimes during a game.

s it possible in the next update to make a grid, which thick and super visible and sound/vibro alert when I cross it?

I can suggest that, , although of course the chaperone bounds are only there to guide you. We ideally don't want to show them too often as it breaks your immersion!

A more obvious suggestion is to move as much stuff out of the way as possible, which I know can be hard, but should prevent unwanted accidents...!

Archived