Adding Base Station 2.0 to PRO HMD setup

BaconOverlord

With the last update to the VIVE I'm being told my base stations are suddenly too far apart (5.3m) so I'm trying to find out if buying another base station 2.0 will help me make my play area a little bigger without occlusion or tracking issues.  I was thinking two, but I don't have a huge space to play in, just a few feet bigger than the max apparently.

I'm fine with buying two though since I'll eventually have the whole basement as my VR playspace (I'm medically retired military so I need to keep as active as I can between surgeries... this is my daily bread for that since I can't really go jogging or lift weights anymore).  But, that's in the future and assuming I can ever convince my wife we don't need a couch down here, lol.

Anyhow, I haven't see much of anything online (just how-tos for setting up 4 stations), but given my space is about half of what you would want for a 4-station area (5x7ish) I'm not sure if having 4 would help.

The 2.0 basestations are designed to have a 6.0m range (as opposed to 1.0's 5 meter range). The real-world range is dependent on environmental factors. Unless your experiencing tracking issues during your sessions, I wouldn't rush out to buy one when they become available for individual purchase. The undervalued advantage to 2.0 is how it alters our relationship with occlusion - using multiple basestations simply means that there is less chance for occlusion to ruin your immersion. Adding a third or even forth lighthouse in a small area just means that you're likely to not have occlusion issues which in some use cases is actually pretty important. A third one would certainly help with tracking, a fourth would also help but in that size of space you'd see less ROI. 

Additional 2.0 accessories will be made available soon. 

Awesome, thanks for the fast response.

I thought I saw the 2.0 base stations for sale separately, but I guess it was either a scam or used.  I didn't know they weren't available yet.  Thanks for the info!  I'll definitely get them when they are available.

Hopefully "accessories" refers to a pistol-type wand and maybe some other shapes?  Eventually I mean.

David,

Will having multiple base stations for tracking improve the tracking to help eliminate jittering at all? I understand that some jittering may be caused by reflections, but if the HMD and Controllers are being hit with multple laser sources, it seems the reflections might not matter as much and smoother tracking may occur. (Of course, the opposite could be true- more base stations might just mean more reflections!)

, That's ultimately a pretty complex question, especially since the tracking algorithms are managed by Valve and occasionally updated at the firmware level. That's honestly a question to pose to Valve as it's their core technology. 

That said, at this current stage of the 2.0 lifecycle I do think it's safe to say that the evolving featureset is currently geared around improving occlusion, range, and the overall volume of tracked spaces- all which help improve the overall UX and increase the flexibility of the hardware platform to meet the needs of developers, LBE operators, and enterprises. 

Archived