Vive wireless adapter getting way to hot!!

AeroSouls

I just got the wireless adapter a few days go and it gets scary hot to the point of discomfort. I am using it in the original Vive. I would like to know what HTC is doing about this ? Extra padding something? I had to stop playing after about an hour it started to burn my head !! At least it felt like it was complete discomfort. Is there a solution you guys are going to send to customers? Or should I just return it? For $300 it should not burn my head and you could at least included padding like you do with the Pro kit.

1. What symptoms did you experience?

Hot sensation on the top on my head like really, really  warm.

2. How long was the device in use before you noticed the symptoms? What content or game were you engaging with?

30min to an hour and was playing star trek bridge crew. Also happens with basically every game it get hot.

3. Was the wireless adapter being used with the provided HTC Powerbank battery?

Yes

4. Have you been able to reproduce the symptoms consistently?

pretty much everytime I use it. It gets hot 

5. What Vive setup were you using in conjunction with the adapter (Vive Pro? Original Vive?)?

Vive Original / Setting with no camera on and no super sampling. 

Can you provide us with you PC configuration? 

~ Intel - Core i7-8700K / Liquid cooling

~ Windows 10 Pro

~ Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

~ G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

~ Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive / another 1 TB SSD

~ GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING X

~ HTC Vive Original

~ Cool Master 550w Power supply

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/9wcogd/my_experience_with_the_heat_problem_of_the_htc/

Comment left by ribsies. 

Do you think the issue is the hard piece of rubber that has the direct contact with your head? You may refer to Redditor ribsies's comment.

I think some people are mistaking what is causing this pain.

I've done lots of testing with this heat issue. If yours gets hot enough to hurt you, you have a bad device. Send it back.

The original Vive wireless adapter has a very hard piece of rubber that is in direct contact with your head. When I started using it, I was noticing pain in that spot as well. It wasn't the heat, it was this hard piece of rubber. I ended up just not folding that part underneath, I just let it hang off the back. No more pain.

The wireless adapter absolutely has a heat generation problem.

Here is my fix:
1: Apply multiple layers of heat reflective gold foil tape to surfaces between your head and the wireless adapter.
2: Add some sort of foam or insulative material between your head and the wireless adapter.
3: Switch to a VRCover Deluxe Audio Strap foam replacement. The VRCover product is much thicker and insulative than the HTC headstrap foam.

4: Fold the velcro flaps between the headstrap foam and the plastic frame of the headstrap.

Taking these steps resolved all heat issues on my head. The wireless adapter itself still gets absurdly hot, but I don't feel it on my head.

Archived