Display on monitor while using Vive?

Laughingboy

Hello :smileyhappy:

Im trying to figure out if you can view what is happening in Vive on your monitor while someone is using the Vive Headset. Is there a setting for this?

The reason I ask is because I want to introduce a few friends to the VR World and while they are using the Headset, I would like to have some kind of idea what is going on. Is this possible?

Is there a setting in the program that allows the monitor to display what is happening while the Headset is running?

Any Feedback is most welcome.

Yes, it's been historically called the "headset mirror". You can access it via SteamVR -> Display VR View. If you're on an older version of SteamVR, it's SteamVR -> Display Mirror. 

Be sure to look in the top lefthand corner of the mirror window - there are different viewing modes (left eye, right eye, center view, ect...). 

SteamVR has a really powerful dashboard system that you won't find on more closed ecosystems like Oculus natively.  One of my favorite tools is OVRDrop - it allows you to mash together regular 2D computing and VR. You can use it to pipe in any window into VR which makes it incredibly handy. An example of how you could use this would be to pipe in Bob Ross videos while inside of an art program like Tiltbrush. 

Thank you, I put OVEDrop into my wish list after looking it over, It is a handy utility.

The whole Vive experence has turned out to much more than expected. It can do more then I was aware of before my purchase. I spent a lot of money to build a computer with VR in mind. I did my research and decided on Vive. Best choice by far. I have a friend who also build a computer as powerful as mine and pretty close to what I have and we built them around the same time. I told her I had purchase Vive and I think she may be getting one too, I sent her links to show her examples of what it can do. What I can not find is a list of tutorials I can print out when it comes to settings and such. What came with the Vive was very limited, Pretty much basics as to how to set up. I purchased mine from the Vive company and not through a third party because I wanted to be sure it was absolute new equipment. Anyway, I thank you for your time showing me all the tips and tricks it can do. Im sure I will have more questions in the near future. Smiles to you :smileyhappy:  

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself! Those first few weeks in VR are pretty magical and can affect your worldview heavily. Be sure to check out Google Earth VR - that app is by and far my favorite VR currently and it's free.

There aren't alot of extended setup guides and tutorials because the entire ecosystem is moving so quickly it would be impossible to keep up. 3 years ago, few of these apps, tools, and platforms existed and in another year they'll all look completely differently. The VR community is often the best source for current info, especially because so many people are die hards. Do you have a very specific thing you're looking for a tutorial on, I may be able to find one that addresses what you're looking for. For the most part, when it comes to SteamVR, I would recommend just looking at every single SteamVR settings page (both in HMD and outside of the HMD). Most of the customizations will be done inside of VR using SteamVR's in-HMD settings page. 

You may also want to look at OpenVRAdvancedSettings once you're a bit more familar; it adds alot of commonly requested features to SteamVR. 

There is not a certain tutorial I was looking for, I just wanted to learn quickly.

Before I was introduced to the VR world, I worked with computer art and animations as a hobbie and aquired some fantastic software for it. I learn so much from Tutorials and expermenting.  Some of the software you may know of like the program Vue made by e-on software. Vue has been used in many, many movies you have seen such as Terminator, Dispicable Me, and so on. I like the idea of whole new worlds created in enviroments like VR. I will take your advice and just explore all the settings and see what is possible. This is just so much fun. I should have purchase a Vive long ago. I am a member of a number of Computer Art Communities and will spread the word. Who knows, I just might bring in some business for Vive, LOL. Oh if you ever get curious, Much of my computer art can be found at Photobucket under Mark Holloways (Lakotafeather)

In the mean times, Im going to explore and enjoy, There is just so much to take in. Thank you

That's awesome! I'm actually completely self educated when it comes to VR, CS, and tech-art myself.

It's not Vive specific but the best self-education resource for VR IMO is The Voices of VR Podcast - there's like 500+ hours of generalized ARVR discussion there - you might like it. 

You should look at Tiltbrush or AnimVR

You may eventually want to try your hand at developing VR. Unity/UE4 and procedural texturing are sparking a golden age for environment art. Tools like

and Substance are stupid powerful and work in both realtime and offline rendering such as in movies and TV shows. It's a very powerful artistic pipeline - check out Unity's Neon Challenge. 

This is just fantastic, Thank you so much for the links and pointing me in the right direction. I live and breath CG graphics and can not seem to get enough of it. I am saving all the links you have posted and very curious about Unity. Sometimes this software can get very expensive, Vue is my most expensive software I own, I have several others like Poser Pro, Daz Studio, Hexagon and of course Adobe Photoshop. I can say I own the last version of Vue you could actually purchase before they changed company ownership and now lease it out with memberships. You can not just purchase it anymore so I feel lucky about that. I Considered 3D Max but your talking about several thousand dollars for that. My interest now is VR, Being a Newbee, I have a lot to learn. I do have the ability to make 360 degree animations. To be able to make VR worlds would be the ultimate Dream.  Again, Thank you for your advise and tips, Smiles to you, :cathappy::manhappy::robothappy::smileyhappy:

• 3 years later...

Hi Friends,

I new to steam, I'm still figuring it out.

I need your help

I have the VIVE and i'm using a PC laptop.

Im able to see vr content from online etc, but I try to view a regular web browser the image looks doubled up.

Is there a way the vibe can acurately display the same content as what I have on my laptop screen.

Thank you in advance

New to Steam