Warning Before You Buy an MSi Desktop

Stumbling through the fascinating, but pricey world of VR, would like to give people a "heads up". The MSi Aegis desktop (I think mine is a 216) works well with Vive Pro. HOWEVER, when you later will want to upgrade to the Vive Wireless Adapter (you will, trust me) - you'll need a different computer. The MSi Aegis (apparently all models) does not have any PCIe slots, which is required to use the Vive Wireless Adapter. I'm not sure, yet, if their other models have the slot or not. I will update once I find out from customer service. Big disappointment.

That is sad. If you had an extra slot, all you would need is an adapter, Well, my guess is new motherboard or whole new computer. New motherboard would be cheaper. Just have to make sure processor and memory in your computer was compatable, Thats all. I feel bad for you, Good luck with what ever you decide to do.:smileyfrustrated:

, Thanks for flagging this - there's a pretty solid chance of someone finding this via Google search and it may help them.

That MSI uses a proprietary motherboard that uses a custom PCI-E riser system. It's incompatible with wireless in it's shipping config (but I can't say for sure if there are workarounds or not as I've never been able to test on IRL).

Generally speaking, unless you have a very specific use-case for a PC, I would avoid any desktop that uses a proprietary motherboard like the plauge. Sticking with standard motherboard form factors ensures support for a wide variety of aftermarket cases and add-on components such as our wireless card. Gaming PC's like this with proprietary designs are targeting "gamers" who aren't PC enthusiasts and want a turn-key solution - they target cool visual design and thermal preformance over flexibility and user-customization. They only design these types of PC's for things like RAM and HDDs to be easily upgradable. 

Thanks for pointing this out,  . I was not aware that the HTC Vive/Vive Pro was intended to be more geared toward PC enthusiasts, of which I am not. Just an average consumer, here. I will keep this in mind the next time I'm in the market for a VR device. Turn-key is for me. :-)

, No - I was saying those turnkey PC's like the Ageis or the Trident are marketed towards people who are not byob pc enthusiasts. They utilize proprietary parts and are not super upgrade friendly - not a lot you can customize or modify. 

Vive is defintely a consumer product and Vive Pro is a prosumer/professional product. The only Vive product that's not explicitly a consumer product in the west is Vive Focus.

I see. From a consumer standpoint, I would find it extremely helpful if the PC recommended/requirements page for the Vive made a note on the bottom about getting a computer with a PCIe slot if later planning to get the Wireless Adapter. In fact, I've seen a couple of posts on this forum and on Reddit since this issue, of customers who invested in laptops (which have no PCIe slot) to later discover that won't be compatible with the wireless adapter. So I believe a lot of future customers would find a note there helpful.

• 2 years later...

You can get additional PCIE slots with an adapter from m.2 PCIE to PCIE slot. You can search for „m.2 pcie mining adapter“.

I have a pc with mini itx board with only one pcie slot. The HTC Wireless Adapter works with such an adapter. Only the placement is a bit tricky, i have to place it outside the pc housing.

• 5 months later...