HTC vive base station position

aazzeerrttyy

It will work, kind of, but not well since it won't be able to register optimaly when turning your back to the wall (the vive headset has sensors at the front).

I used to have my base station on tripods (those used for photo camera's) before I attached them to the wall. That could work for you as well. Make sure they're higher than you (mine go up to 2m30)

Since you have 2.0 stations, bear in mind that you have a ton more flexibility than you'd have with 1.0 stations. Since you don't have to worry about optical sync, you can pretty much place the 2 units in any config that maximums the utilization of the basestation's FOV. 

If you have two units along one wall point pointed in one direction, you'll mostly have 360 coverage - you'll just be prone to occlusion so most would consider this a 180 setup.

The real test it to just try it in your specific environment and see if it works well enough to suit your use case. 

Hi thanks for the answers. There is no wall behind me and no way to plug anything. It's on a second floor of a loft and there is no oposite wall at all. I have now setup the Vive Pro with two facing station on a 180° installation. The problem is when i turn around it's just not working. I have a third base that i think i can hang on the roof but the closest plug is at around 10 to 11 meters from the other base. Will it work?

You dont want the Base stations too far apart from each other, Just run a long extention cord to power it up. That is what I would do. Give it some thought, Be creative, You can find a way to do it. You just want it to be stationary where ever you place it. Is there a railing at the edge of the loft where a wall should be? Perhaps attaching something like some PVC Tube to the railing up high enough and attaching the base to the top. Hard to picture the space you are talking about but it can be done. Keep us updated, Im intrested how you solve this.