Developing a game.

Charles

So I going to be taking some base game development classes in college.
But if there are any developers on here what are your opinions on what you think I should also study with for making games for VR. If you could propose some things to study up on personally or different ways to train on making games in VR I would love to hear about it. :)

You should learn the Unity platform. It's currently the best game engine for making VR games. It also has official tools from Valve, as well as a number of excellent community add-ons. Learning Android development would really only be good for making games for GearVR or Google Cardboard.

• 2 weeks later...

We for example develop with the Unreal Engine. And it is really tough the get programmers who know how to use it properly, because they are quickly picked up by the big players in the gaming industry. Another advantage of UE is that it is a very powerful tool that creates stunning graphics realitively easy in comparison to Unity. The advantage of Unity is that you can use it for a broad range of applications, also for mobile, which is a big market at the moment for VR. At the same time, the competition is high between Unity developers. Hope that helps.

Archived