How to get raw data of eye position?

Hi there,

I am trying to obtain accurate eye positions for my study these days, according to the SDK document, there are two parameters that might suitable for my request, they are the gaze_origin_mm attribute under the SingleEyeData structure and the Vector2 postion from GetPupilPosition( ). However, I have some questions about these two parameters.

First of all, the definition of gaze_origin_mm is "The point in the eye from which the gaze ray originates in meter miles. (right-handed coordinate system)". I believe the unit of measurement is millimeter instead of meter miles, I guess. After I tried to get the point from Vive Pro Eye, I concluded the point is the value of eye position related to the lens' center, and both eyes are in the same coordinate system (x: point to me, y: point up, and z: point to the left). But the picture above the context makes me confused.  According to the figure, there are two Gaze Origin Vectors point Right and Left separately from Right Eye and Left Eye. So, what is the real coordinate system for these parameters, and are each Lens center the center points (0,  0, 0) of each eye separately?

Secondly, the definition of Vector2 postion from GetPupilPosition( ) is "The 2D position of a selected pupil clamped between -1 and 1. Position (0, 0) indicates that the pupil is looking forward; position (1, 1) up-rightward; and position (-1, -1) left-downward.". I am not sure "position" spell into "postion" is on purpose or not. However, I am curious about the range or the border of  (1, 1) and (-1, -1), cause I try my best to move my eyes, they still can not reach at least 0.5 or smaller than - 0.5. 

Thanks for helping me to figure out my problems, and hopefully can give me a suggestion of the best strategy to get the raw data of eye position.

• Like 1

Here is a similar question about gaze origin, https://community.viveport.com/t5/Vive-SRanipal-SDK/Vive-Pro-Eye-Finding-a-single-eye-origin-in-world-space/gpm-p/31592#M20.The diagram is updated. The gaze origin is with repect to System Origin.

Regarding to pupil position, it represents the pupil position in the camera sesnor. (0,0) means you pupil is at the center of camera sensor. Its main purpose is used to guide you to position your HMD and adjust IPD to have your pupil at the center of camera sensor.

• 1 year later...

@Daniel_Y, Link  does not exist from previous post. Here is a similar question about gaze origin, https://community.viveport.com/t5/Vive-SRanipal-SDK/Vive-Pro-Eye-Finding-a-single-eye-origin-in-world-space/gpm-p/31592#M20.The diagram is updated. The gaze origin is with repect to System Origin.

@iuilab, Did you get your answer? If so, Please let me know about gaze_origin_mm  interms or left and right eye. If I take average of these two points, then does it mean the position of the object in the scene where user looked at? 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...