How to support & maintain a PC + mobile Unity project?

ben-FLOAT

The documentation explains how to setup mobile projects but how should PC platforms be configured? I've been looking at the docs and forum extensively and haven't seen any PC-focused documentation.

The porting guide is clear enough on Android (https://hub.vive.com/storage/app/doc/en-us/ViveToWaveVR.html) but does not indicate how to maintain a PC VR build.

I installed the samples and picking a few, they don't appear to work on the original Vive headset with build target x64 selected. I have VIU installed and those samples do work, as long as I have VR Support enabled with OpenVR at the top of the list. 

Before I go off and start hacking, it would be great to know officially how PC-based Vive and Oculus Rift builds are meant to work with or along side Wave SDK. Thanks!

I was testing in Editor and using Wave SDK 3.1.1 (beta).

I tried to build an exe using the VIU ControllerManagerSample scene, and the Wave SDK prevented it:

Error building Player: Target platform is not Android

I am not testing mobile yet, I'd like to make sure the PC build is functioning properly with Wave SDK first. Please let me know how it should be configured. Thanks.

@chengnay

To clarify my question, how should the VR Rig be setup when using both Wave and VIU, and wanting to target PC and mobile? Am I correct to say that I should use the VIU examples as a guideline, and this will work for all platforms? 

Also, I have two critical issues with PC development:
1) I am unable to make a standalone x64 build due to the Wave SDK causing a build error: 
WaveVR\Editor\WaveVR_RenderBuildPreprocessor.cs(32): Error building Player: Target platform is not Android
Can I simply disable this in the Wave SDK code, and is there an official fix coming?

2) The VIU settings say that SteamVR is required for haptics (see attached image), yet SteamVR is not compatible with Wave SDK. The Wave SDK porting guide requires SteamVR to be deleted. https://hub.vive.com/storage/docs/en-us/ViveToWaveVR.html.  Will this be fixed?

I think I have found the problem. SteamVR 2.0 or above must be used.

The Wave SDK porting guide is out of date because it says to delete SteamVR: https://hub.vive.com/storage/docs/en-us/ViveToWaveVR.html. I suspect that SteamVR 2.0 is compatible, but any earlier versions are not compatible and must be removed. I had SteamVR 1.2.3 previously and it conflicted with Wave SDK.

I am not sure the cause of the x64 build error I had earlier. I had not imported SteamVR 2.0 yet, it was simply Unity 2018.4.0f1 with VIU from github and Wave 3.1.1. If I had to guess, it would be that I was switching platforms manually in the Unity Build Settings, rather than using the VIU settings in Preferences.

Hope that helps anyone else facing these errors!

@chengnay @Tony PH Lin

• Thanks 1

I've used both SteamVR's for cross PC-Mobile without issues - yes there's some namespace clashes that can be fixed manually with the 1.x plugin, but you should not have any issues with the develop branch of VIU from github and Steam (latest Steam beta plugin is still being tested). No longer need to change any settings other than VIU Settings now. @ben-FLOAT