HTC Vive Cosmos questions over questions

thydney1970

Dear all

I just have watched several videos regarding VR setup for Viveport, SteamVR, Project Cars 2 which is still my favourite raciesim. I hav received yesterday my brand new HTC Vive Cosmos which is my first VR-experience at all. Never used any VR-systems until today and that’s why I’m struggling to get the Vive Cosmos , also SteamVR and PC2VR working and also I have a lot of questions and questions marks ;-) which I guess is normal for newbies. That’s the reason I’m writing here and it would be great to get some support from your side because I think this is the perfect community with very experienced VR-users:-)

One of the biggest disappointments is, that the left earphone is not clicking into the position for lying direct on my ear. it is standing 1cm away from my ear and I don't have to mention that is unacceptable. It tried to adjust to position of the left earphone with no success, it doesn't clicks in. Right side works perfect. First of all I’m asking me, if I can use my Logitech G933 7.1 headphone still together with HTC Vive Cosmos and if so, do the headphone must be connected always with the Vive Cosmos ?

Second disappointment is, that I don't get the Cosmos working in SteamVR at the moment.

Currently I have the problem, that PC2 is mostly displayed on my monitor only, even the Cosmos is running and active. I got it twice working to get PC2VR displayed as 2D window on the Cosmos, but only as flat screen. During loading procedure of PC2, the game stopped loading on the loading screen and was hanging/freezing there.

Another question I have is, if I always have to enter steamVR via Viveport or is it possible to start Steam Games, like PC2 in my case, directly from desktop or steam library. If so how?

You see I’m a complete newbie on VR, that’s why your tips, support and answer are highly appreciated and it would be great to get help from your side.

I’m looking froward hearing from and thank you very much. IF I don't get solved all this issues, I will return the Vive Cosmos, my expection was that everything fits and works for gaming in VR with my favorite games.

Kind regards from Zurich

thydney

On the head phone I had to actually pinch it closed at the point of the halo head band where the phones are attached. I then heard the click. I couldn't get it to click just by pushing on the outside. Hope that helps. 

I have tried this several times and also after adjusting the headphones position on the halo. IT doesn't click in any position. But this is only one of the dissapointment. Would be great to get any support to get the comsos working as I expect. I guess you have read my complete post above? That a SteamVR compatible system like the cosmos was announced, I await that it is working plug and play and without any issues. Not in my case and currently the system is not usable for me, especially together with my favorite steam games.

Another questions I have :

1. how can call up the IPD-screen for adjusting the distance. Maybe it is not working properly too with the current firmware. If I turn the know on the headset, the IPD pop-up is most of the time not visible and not visible which is nerving.

2. Where and how can I check easy if there are any firm- and software updates available for my Vive Cosmos?

Thanks a lot for your information. I'm still not very happy with the Cosmos, my exceptions where quit higher and I'm hoping all the error and critics will be solved shortly.

I also am having issues with the headphones. Best thing I've found is to put the headset on and then pull the sides of the ring outward. While they're out, I can then snap the headphones into place, and then let the ring go back into shape. If I move too much or too quickly, they'll pop back out though.

HTC, you guys had everything working with the Deluxe Audio Strap on the original Vive. Then you couldn't get clamping to work on the Vive Pro, and now this? Come on...

9 hours ago, thydney1970 said:

Another questions I have :

1. how can call up the IPD-screen for adjusting the distance. Maybe it is not working properly too with the current firmware. If I turn the know on the headset, the IPD pop-up is most of the time not visible and not visible which is nerving.

2. Where and how can I check easy if there are any firm- and software updates available for my Vive Cosmos?

Thanks a lot for your information. I'm still not very happy with the Cosmos, my exceptions where quit higher and I'm hoping all the error and critics will be solved shortly.

Most of all your newbie questions can be answered by referring to the Cosmos Support pages, including it's manual (which you can download as a pdf file).  There is lots of good info, including setup and troubleshooting tips.  Please do not expect people to read the manual for you, lol!

https://www.vive.com/au/support/cosmos/

Since this is your very first VR experience you are probably best to start out with some simple games from your Viveport infinity subscription.  Then work your way into SteamVR.  It also might help to include your PC specs.

Edited by TomCgcmfc

I studied the manual as much as it was needed for the installation and configuring everything. Meanwhile i got also Project Cars 2 running and after nVidia released the latest drivers. With the earphones I‘m still not happy and it‘s not a very good solution in my opinion. I don‘t understand why the is no spring inside which presses the earphone on the ears respective why it can‘t be suited on the ears only similiar to the construction of the valve index.

currently viggest questionmarks are the questions above regarding ipd-adjustment screen which is not popping up when turning the knob in a game most of time. If there is an option to set just let me know please. Also if i‘m doing something wrong.

It would be also get explained, how i can easily check if there are firmware updates available.

my system specs:

CPU I7 7700K

MSI ACHORUS GTX 1080TI 11G

32GB DDR4-2666 RAM

SSD1: Samsung M2 850 Pro 256 GB

SSD2: Samsung M2 860 Pro 512 GB

Windows 10 64-Bit

Thanks a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 6:38 AM, kbrueck said:

I also am having issues with the headphones. Best thing I've found is to put the headset on and then pull the sides of the ring outward. While they're out, I can then snap the headphones into place, and then let the ring go back into shape. If I move too much or too quickly, they'll pop back out though.

HTC, you guys had everything working with the Deluxe Audio Strap on the original Vive. Then you couldn't get clamping to work on the Vive Pro, and now this? Come on...

My Cosmos works fine in my normal wearing, but i found if i wear it with rear pad higher, the headphone becomes not easily to clip-in.

maybe you can try if this can help on your Cosmos.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:44 AM, thydney1970 said:

It would be also get explained, how i can easily check if there are firmware updates available.

It's displayed directly in the vive console if there's an update available...
just below the headset for headset firmware or below the controllers for controller firmware.
And as you can see also software updates are displayed there.

You can also go to settings menu and activate beta updates.

Image 2.png