Cosmos Headset Not nor has worked

Tindelltech

Vive Cosmos Headset will not work.

I own a MSI GP73 Leopard 8 RF Laptop with inlet 8th Gen i7 processor, 16GB RAM, and Nvidia GTX 1070.  System is supposed to be VR Ready.  Has several USB 3.1 ports, 1 HDMI 2.0 PORT, AND 1 MINI DISPLAYPORT.

Before purchase I verified via your tech support this would work.  It is NOT working and has been a massive waste of my time and money thus far. 

I am getting the following errors: 210 Compositor is Disconnected, or headset needs go be restart. I am getting NO DISPLAY in headset.  Red light on headset.  System recogizes headset and controllers.  Steam VR says it knows my correct video card and shows frame data.

I have attempted the following per your tech support chat.  Tried High Speed Minidisplay port to Mini displayport cable to go from laptop to link box.  Tried high speed Displayport to Mini Displayport adapter with cable provided by HTC.  No change, system still does not work and behaves same.  Tried beta system with Vive Console, no change.  Tried completely uninstalling drivers, steam, vive software.  Did clean install with latest drivers, no change.

Do I need to RMA this or will you address this issue?  I see several complaints about this on the forums.  I think it unfair to have this count toward my VIVEport Infinity subscription, as I've not once been able to use this.

What do I do with this product that is not not nor has ever worked as promised?

Filed ticket with logs, no reply.  Trace no.: 20191013043802

Do you have the latest VBIOS?

Based on some reports [1], MSI GP73 Leopard 8 RF and possibly other MSI laptops [2][3] needed a VBIOS update to work with the Oculus Rift S and the latest Nvidia drivers. This fix might apply to the Cosmos too.

Also the latest Nvidia drivers "Adds support for the HTC VIVE Cosmos VR HMD".

If you don't have the latest VBIOS, you will have to contact MSI support and ask them for it. There are many different laptop configurations so don't pick a random VBIOS flash from the internet.

PS: My forum nickname T was given to me automatically after first login with no option to change it even though I setup my InfinityTag and everything else in Viveport and can't find any other place where that nickname might have come.

Edited by T
  • Like 2

Just doublechecking. You have the latest VBIOS(Video cards BIOS) not BIOS (Laptop BIOS), these are not the same.

And as far as I know the only way to know if you have the latest available is to contact your laptop's support and ask them. So you asked them?

Edited by T
  • Like 1

To date I have attempted using the following.  I used the HTC cable with high speed 4K Hdmi adapter.  i've tried two mini displayport 1.4 to mini displayport 1.4 cables.  This still yields the exact same issue.  These adapters and cables are:

Cable Matters Mini displayport to Mini Displayport cable in black 6 feet - 4k resolution ready

Cable Matters Mini Displayport to Displayport Adapter (mini DP to DP) in black- 4k ready- Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 compatible.  Used this with provided Cable from HTC

HDMI to Mini DisplayPort Converter Adapter Cable,QGeeM 20Cm 4K x 2K HDMI to Mini DP Adaptor for HDMI Equipped Systems,Compliant with VESA Dual-Mode DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4 and HDCP

I'm using the newest available BIOS for this laptop, E17C5IMS.10F, Also I'm using the newest video card drivers. Nvidia Geforce Driver 436.48 Release Date 10/1/19

To date I've wasted 150$ in adapters and cables and been unable to use this VR headset on a "VR ready" laptop that more than exceeds minimum technical requirements.  I still get error 210 Compositor is Disconnected, or headset needs go be restart. I've tried installing beta version of vive system and drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling everything.  The laptop knows the headset is there, reads hand controllers, no display in headset (only get red light on side).

Am I going to be compensated for my time, cables, and RMA cost?  Is there a fix for this?  I'd like to use what I paid for please or be refunded everything so I can buy a system that actually works.

You never mentioned if you have the latest VBIOS for your graphics card.

From the Oculus Rift S Troubleshooting Tips which has related information:

I’m experiencing issues with my MSI laptop.

• If the newest drivers don't solve the issue, please reach out to the MSI support team to update the VBIOS that enables HDCP on the DisplayPort.

Your laptop being labeled "VR ready" doesn't mean that it's actually completely compatible. There is no such standard.

And if your problem is with the VBIOS you will have similar problems with the Oculus Rift S.

34 minutes ago, T said:

You never mentioned if you have the latest VBIOS for your graphics card.

From the Oculus Rift S Troubleshooting Tips which has related information:

Your laptop being labeled "VR ready" doesn't mean that it's actually completely compatible. There is no such standard.

And if your problem is with the VBIOS you will have similar problems with the Oculus Rift S.

I have reached out to MSI.  They have told me i'm using the latest version of Vbios that are available.  My VBios version is: 86.04.7D.00.29

The mini displayport and hdmi are setup to use the GTX 1070 GPU.  The system simply does not function.  The headset does not ever show any picture. I'll I get mostly are the 210 error and a red light on the headset.

Two thing you may want to try if you have not already done this.

Go to your nvidia control panel, 3D settings tab and make sure on the top line you select to use your high performance nvidia gpu and, further down, that you select prefer maximum performance.  You may also want to check the next tab physx and see on the picture if your DP is actually going from your nvidia gpu.  Also, it sometimes helps to select your nvidia gpu instead of auto select. 

Not sure why you cannot get your laptop to work properly although it is not exactly a powerhouse system for good VR imho.  You may want to consider a Rift S because it is a little less demanding.  If you have any friends with one it may be worth asking then to let you try it out first.

Edited by TomCgcmfc

4 hours ago, Tindelltech said:

I have reached out to MSI.  They have told me i'm using the latest version of Vbios that are available.  My VBios version is: 86.04.7D.00.29

Googling your VBIOS version of 86.04.7D.00.29 brings me to this result :

I have an MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8RF laptop with the Nvidia GTX 1070  and  had experienced the black screen issue after approximately 30 seconds with my Oculus Rift S. The only workaround had been to use the Nvidia  417.71 driver. Anything newer than the 417.71 driver would result in the black screen issue. I opened a Tech Support ticket with MSI and they emailed me an updated VBIOS for my GTX 1070. My VBIOS version was 86.04.7D.00.29. The updated VBIOS is 86.04.7D.00.37. I simply unzipped the file they sent me and executed the BAT. file contained within.  I  then updated my Nvidia driver to the current one which is 436.15 and all is well, no more black screen.

So at least for the GTX 1070 at the MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8RF laptop the 86.04.7D.00.29 VBIOS is broken for the Rift S and there is an updated version for it that fixed it. Also from the same thread the updated version fixed the problem for the GTX 1070 for a MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE.

Another post for the Valve Index which also shows that the problem is not limited to one headset:

I have a MSI GE73 8RF ......

Waiting for new nvidia driver didn't solve my problem so I contact MSI support with my MSI system configuration.

They immediatly replied this :
As for the HDCP error:
Please update Current VBIOS: 86.04.7D.00.37

You can't blame me if I think that what MSI support told you is wrong.

In that last post for the Valve Index, a workaround that has been discussed in other cases is to use a old nvidia driver that doesn't produce the fault like the 417.71 one. Mind you the latest drivers claim that they added support for the Cosmos so old driver might not work.

• Like 2