Do sensors have to be 30-40 degree angle?

shin777

I got my vive setup last night and when I set up standing alone, it works fine but when I set it up room scale, it messes up my height. How do I adjust height in room scale setup? It doesn't have option to enter the height like standing alone setup. I put 2 of my sensors on bookshelve on opposite side of my room but they are not tilted because I didn't mount them. Is it because of this that my height is being messed up on room scale set up?

At a guess, yes. If the lighthouses / sensors aren't tilted downwards, they may be missing parts of the room when they 'sweep' looking for the headset.

If you're putting the lighthouses on bookshelves, you might want to think about clamps or similar mounting solutions. We use these Smallrig ball mounts (Amazon.com link) in our offices and they work well.

That will clamp onto a pole or shelf up to 44mm thick and costs under $20. I'm sure there are plenty of other options, that's just the one I saw in our demo area yesterday.

Anyway, long story short,  - yep, you need to tilt them down for reliable tracking.

I haven't got a scale to hand, but from what I can find through searching - 320 grams (just over half a lb).

So yeah, your solution might not be ideal here. I would add that you really do want the lighthouses/base stations firmly mounted. If they vibrate because the mounting is weak, it'll cause problems with tracking. That's why we usually recommend wall mounting if possible.

I just realized we actually have a bookshelf mounted light house here; basically what we did was screw a mounting plate (as found in the box) to a piece of plastic, that's taped to the bookshelf. :D Low-tech FTW!

Archived