Vive PRO nose guard is glued in and came loose, now what?

Zacware

Unlike the OG Vive, the Vive PRO nose rest is held in by glue, which has become loose on mine. I don't want to risk using crazy glue because the vapor might fog the lenses. Has anyone else with a Vive Pro found a work-around, fix or alternative?

4 hours ago, Zacware said:

Unlike the OG Vive, the Vive PRO nose rest is held in by glue, which has become loose on mine. I don't want to risk using crazy glue because the vapor might fog the lenses. Has anyone else with a Vive Pro found a work-around, fix or alternative?

I would contact Vive Support and ask them how best to do this.  The solvents is many glues out there could end up fogging your lens imho.  Maybe try using some thin strips of 3M/Scotch double-sided mounting tape.

Sorry, Tom, I detect a lack of understanding in your knowledge of evaporation, condensation and humidity.

It's condensation caused by excess moisture in the air (relative humidity) that would cause the lenses to fog.

Once the solvent has cured, there would be no further moisture given off, meaning the air would be at normal water content.

The idea of fixing a top of the range HMD, vive pro, with scotch tape is quite frankly totally ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Jakey said:

Sorry, Tom, I detect a lack of understanding in your knowledge of evaporation, condensation and humidity.

It's condensation caused by excess moisture in the air (relative humidity) that would cause the lenses to fog.

Once the solvent has cured, there would be no further moisture given off, meaning the air would be at normal water content.

The idea of fixing a top of the range HMD, vive pro, with scotch tape is quite frankly totally ridiculous.

Sorry mate but I do have over 20 years of radio controlled aircraft building and flying (and re-building, lol!) so I kinda know how most glues can effect most plastics.  The solvents contained within many glues can cause permanent fogging.  Glues like CA (crazy glues) are probably the worst offenders.  As far as tapes go there is a big difference between simple cello scotch tape and proper double-sided mounting tapes.  Mounting tapes provide a strong bond, are flexible, and there is no danger in fogging.  Another alternative may be to use Velcro strips.

Again I would strongly recommend the OP contacts Vive Support in order to get their recommendation as to the best way to proceed.  I agree that this should not happen with an expensive set of goggles but like faceplate foam, many items do wear out and heat and humidity can play a part in this.

Several points of clarity here, I am open to learning. 

We're not talking about gluing the lenses are we? It's an area below the lenses?

When you say, "solvents...within..glues can cause permanent fogging", does that include even if the concerned area (the lenses in this case) is totally open to the air during curing of glue?

Once the glue has dried, in an area separate from the lenses, are you saying that the lenses may still permanently fog?

@Jakey If you actually want to learn just do a bit of research yourself via Google.  Sorry but I'm not prepared to do this for you.  What you don't want to do on these forums is give uneducated recommendations that might harm a product.  I believe that I have given my best advice and alternatives based on my personal knowledge, including a recommendation to contact Vive Support for their advice before proceeding further.  I do not think that any further discussion on this thread is warranted and I will not respond further.  Cheers. 

@Jakey - Sorry for the delayed replied for this, alot of our forum staff was spending time with our families for the Thanksgiving holiday in the US.

@TomCgcmfc is 100% correct about this - this is actually a very difficult thing for us to advise on from a self-repair standpoint as many glues such as cyanoacrylate glues (super glue) contain solvents whose fumes that will chemically react to the plastic lenses causing them to "fog" up or become brittle. You also risk getting the adhesive itself on the lens - either directly, or via the fumes. We sell replacement nose guards with pre-filled adhesive strips which is the "safest" and lowest risk option. If you'd like to attempt self repair - I can't safely point to a specific adhesive type due to the risks laid about above - we wouldn't want you to damage your lenses based off advice from us. That said, I would recommend covering your lenses with something like a strategically positioned microfiber cloth to ensure they're as isolated and protected as possible from any adhesive. Avoid super glue.

I'll ask around to see if we have any recommendations internally.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2019 at 2:32 AM, VibrantNebula said:

Hi. Thanks for the reply to this thread @VibrantNebula. You wrote that "We sell replacement nose guards with pre-filled adhesive strips which is the "safest" and lowest risk option". I tried contacting Vive Support but they told me they only sell replacement for the OG Vive and I would have to send my PRO in for repair at a cost of $190!!!!!!!! Can you tell me how I can buy the replacement nose guards for the PRO? Thanks!

On 12/2/2019 at 2:32 AM, VibrantNebula said:

@Jakey - Sorry for the delayed replied for this, alot of our forum staff was spending time with our families for the Thanksgiving holiday in the US.

@TomCgcmfc is 100% correct about this - this is actually a very difficult thing for us to advise on from a self-repair standpoint as many glues such as cyanoacrylate glues (super glue) contain solvents whose fumes that will chemically react to the plastic lenses causing them to "fog" up or become brittle. You also risk getting the adhesive itself on the lens - either directly, or via the fumes. We sell replacement nose guards with pre-filled adhesive strips which is the "safest" and lowest risk option. If you'd like to attempt self repair - I can't safely point to a specific adhesive type due to the risks laid about above - we wouldn't want you to damage your lenses based off advice from us. That said, I would recommend covering your lenses with something like a strategically positioned microfiber cloth to ensure they're as isolated and protected as possible from any adhesive. Avoid super glue.

I'll ask around to see if we have any recommendations internally.