90hz

Hooflee

@Hooflee

@zig11727 is correct (thanks!). That setting is talking about the rate of your countries' electrical grid. The HMD strictly outputs 90Hz - there is no way to alter the refresh rate of the panels. We strongly believe 90Hz is the minimum required for a motion-sickness free VR experience when it comes to DesktopVR.

@Hooflee - The Cosmos uses optical tracking - please see the video below for why this setting is very important. It's really trippy to think that entire city streets are actually strobbing between dark and light but due to persistence of vision, our visual systems blends it all together. LED lighting doesn't do this because the AC gets converted to DC.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 12:04 AM, VibrantNebula said:

We strongly believe 90Hz is the minimum required for a motion-sickness free VR experience when it comes to DesktopVR.

I would be interested to know how you determined that. What are the scientific papers that HTC Vive developpers used to determined that value?

@MaxenceHL These a whole body of research into this that extends into the mid 1980's. I can't really cite one paper as it's been common knowledge that higher framerates improve user comfort, not just in VR but also with traditional monitors. In VR, there is the added component of user-motion. As the user is able to whip their head (viewpoint) around, screen tearing becomes a major issue. More frames mean less screen tearing making VR projections perceptually appear more "solid" and present. Screen tearing factors heavily into the 90hz standard and directly affects user comfort.

90hz is compromise more than anything and is what we consider the bottom end for PCVR in terms of comfort. In 2014-2016 it was first possible to get 90hz OLED displays en masse from OEMs like Samsung and it was possible to get GPUs composite for both eyes at 90Hz. Rendering above 90hz is ideal and where VR is heading but GPUs and rendering engines can't currently support this at scale and no OEM is mass-manufacturing high refresh rate displays in the form factor required for VR headsets. Index is using a custom display from a smaller manufacturer which inherently limits their production volume and few end-users can even drive the expanded framerates due to the GPU/game engine bottleneck.

1 hour ago, VibrantNebula said:

@MaxenceHL These a whole body of research into this that extends into the mid 1980's. I can't really cite one paper as it's been common knowledge that higher framerates improve user comfort, not just in VR but also with traditional monitors. In VR, there is the added component of user-motion. As the user is able to whip their head (viewpoint) around, screen tearing becomes a major issue. More frames mean less screen tearing making VR projections perceptually appear more "solid" and present. Screen tearing factors heavily into the 90hz standard and directly affects user comfort.

90hz is compromise more than anything and is what we consider the bottom end for PCVR in terms of comfort. In 2014-2016 it was first possible to get 90hz OLED displays en masse from OEMs like Samsung and it was possible to get GPUs composite for both eyes at 90Hz. Rendering above 90hz is ideal and where VR is heading but GPUs and rendering engines can't currently support this at scale and no OEM is mass-manufacturing high refresh rate displays in the form factor required for VR headsets. Index is using a custom display from a smaller manufacturer which inherently limits their production volume and few end-users can even drive the expanded framerates due to the GPU/game engine bottleneck.

Imagen gaming at 30HZ! on a VR HEADSET, jesus!, I remember the days before monitors were 60hz.. I think 90hz - 100hz is 100% fine, and a perfect location to start with, I see no issues here.

60HZ is also a great standard, but not for VR (maybe for some) I don't suffer with motion sickness, would be great if the next headset is 100hz, whatever happened to the COSMOS doing mobile phone connection as was shown in pre-release videos and images and trailers, will the headset run at a phones HZ, or the headsets HZ...  is the cosmos ever going to get a connection for mobile devices? or was that a feature that was skipped or is it coming with a future faceplate. 

p.s Also, by the way, i sent you a message via PM.

Edited by SanityGaming
  • Thanks 1