Temporarily Disabling Chaperone or Collision Boundary

lamyipming

I have been struggling to find a way to temporarily disabling the chaperone for some seated games or video player app. The problem is that my sofa lies outside of my standing play area. And when I lies on the sofa outside of the play area, there is no way to turn off the boundary. The boundary lines are always visible. The only way to solve was to rerun the room setup and change to seated playing - and then setup the boundary again when you want to switch back to standing play area.

1. Dragging the transparency setting in the Lens menu to the far left zero does not solve the problem.

2. Tweaking the file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VIVE\Updater\App\ViveVRRuntime\ViveVR\ViveVRServer\config\default.vrsettings" does not solve the problem. (setting "CollisionBoundsColorGammaA" : 0)

3. Complaining on this forum repeatedly does not solve the problem.

Today I found a fix. Hope this helps anyone who faces the same problem. 

First terminate Vive Console and Viveport. Then use notepad to open the settings file "htcvr.vrsettings" located in "C:\ProgramData\HTC\ViveSoftware\ViveVRRuntime". There you can see that even if you have dragged the transparency all the way to 0 in the Lens menu, the "CollisionBoundsColorGammaA" is still set to 15. I think that this is a bug of the Lens software. Somehow they set the minimum value of the dragging bar to 15, instead of 0. Manually changing the "CollisionBoundsColorGammaA" to 0 will disable the boundary completely. (You will need to save the file with admin right.)

HTC, please fix this in the Lens settings. Be it a bug or a feature, users should be able to set whether they want a boundary or not. It is very very annoying we cannot temporarily disable the boundary COMPLETELY in the Lens menu.

@stvnxu

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very annoying feature.  Maybe I'm the only person in the universe that might actually play a game sitting down and not be standing the whole time, but and on off switch for the boundary for those time I might feel like standing up and playing that way, then the boundaries would be useful.

I can't find the settings file, so for me I still have a constant grid...going to move my play area out to the max I can and see if that works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, stvnxu said:

Hey @lamyipming,

Thanks for sharing this. I'll escalate this to our engineering team and will hope to get this addressed in the next update. I'll keep you posted.

Steve

Do you have any information about when will this fix be implemented? Still have this problem in 1.0.9.6 and there's no mentioning of this issue in mid-Jan beta update.

@stvnxu @C.T.

@lamyipming - For transparencies sake, I'm comfortable sharing that the bulk of the Cosmo team's engineering resources are currently focused on tracking. Features and other UX tweaks will have higher priority once we improve a few key tracking scenarios hence why you're not seeing Vive Reality System related tweaks in the recent beta releases.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, VibrantNebula said:

@lamyipming - For transparencies sake, I'm comfortable sharing that the bulk of the Cosmo team's engineering resources are currently focused on tracking. Features and other UX tweaks will have higher priority once we improve a few key tracking scenarios hence why you're not seeing Vive Reality System related tweaks in the recent beta releases.

That's actually very nice to hear! Makes me feel very warm inside - knowing that you care! I was kinda scared because I watched the youtube video with the new lighthouse kit for Cosmos that will be released soon and got scared that tracking patches will stop. But hearing that you really intend to make the tracking good - very nice news!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

This warms my heart actually, knowing that tracking issue are currently the #1 priority. I can overlook the chaperone annoyances knowing this.

In any case, I have the same problem with Elite Dangerous. My play area is behind my desk, so when I sit down in front of the keyboard with my flight stick setup on both sides of the keyboard, my face is literally in the boundary - and that mesh is beyond distracting.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

This is great news.
Keep up the good work 🙂

• Thanks 1