Cosmos ready for industry usage or not

davide445

We have created 3D simulations of some construction sites, and want to extend this in VR, also providing immersive interaction for design, remote control and training for power stations.

Looking for headset the Cosmos it's an obvious candidate, but I'm reading many complaints about the tracking system.

After weeks of attempts I was still unable to have one to test with our project, so wanted to ask if someone does have experience with the Cosmos on industry / engineering / construction / real estate / simulation settings and not only gaming, to understand if might be a good choice.

Other options we are evaluating are quite obviously the Valve Index and the HP Reverb. Still I think the Cosmos is right now (might change if the Index will add more accessories) the most flexible option, with a long pedigree in professional usage.

Edited by davide445

@davide445,

• We view Cosmos as a consumer-only option and Vive Pro as our enterprise facing option.
    • As such, we do not offer an enterprise use-license for Cosmos nor do we offer an enterprise warranty. Those are only offered for Vive Pro. In other words, we don't offer any legal framework for commercially using the Cosmos as it's specifically designed for in-home usage.
    • Basestation tracking will have higher resolution and accuracy than any optically tracked HMD currently on the market.
  • Vive Cosmos' tracking has been steadily improving since release and thus early reviews do not accurately represent the quality of the current tracking algorithms. Our most recent beta-channel update on 12/25/19 specifically improved tracking for when controllers are directly next to the HMD.
  • Our engineers will continue to release updates to improve tracking system and it remains the team's top focus.
  • The resolution and panel type used in Cosmos is suitable for high-fidelity use cases.

Hi @VibrantNebula thanks for your answer.

Having seen the Vive Pro sold in the shops and now phased out to favor the Cosmos I was thinking the Cosmos is simply the future model and the Pro the past one.

We will also not using it for offering services but internal testing, development and eventually demos in our office.

Looking at the current Pro offer this lie in the same price range of the Index, and without being able to actually test it I can only judge reading the reviews, that are actually favoring the Index. So I didn't find a strong reason to purchase a Pro.

So just want to know if someone actually used the Cosmos in the previous industrial settings, to know first hand how it will behave in that specific conditions.

Possibly we will be finally able to test a Cosmos renting it for some months. 

A topic I didn't find an answer is if using the wireless adapter there is any perceived loss of image quality. 

This since the wired DisplayPort does have a bandwidth up to 17 Gbps, vs a WiGig 7 Gbps, so was wondering if someone does have had an idea about this topic. 

@davide445 , Ditto on CPU being the bottleneck for image quality on Vive Wireless. It's a CPU dependent product. If you have a nice modern CPU, you shouldn't notice any quality loss. I would not recommend wireless on older or budget CPUs. I often use wireless on Pro with the maximum SS values my GPU will support for each app and have never noticed a quality parity differential between wired and wireless. The only scenario I've ever really encountered image degradation is from getting too far away from the PC-side transceiver or by intentionally blocking (occluding) the antennas. If you have a weak CPU, you may see compression style artifacting. 

If you do get a Cosmos on-hand to test, I'd recommend opting into the beta release channel within Cosmo's console to see the most recent tracking updates we're testing.

We have a Ryzen 5 2600X 6c/12t so I hope will be not a problem. 

The German business partner that rented for us the headset did already have a first go, and reported all fine except with handhelds fast movements where the tracking is lost. Not sure what software release he was using, we will anyway receive it next days and use the beta release. 

PS @VibrantNebula is possible to know what kind of encoder / compression format is used for the wireless adapter? We are thinking about a kind of cloud VR and interested on the topic, might be useful to know if can be adapted also for that kind of usage (trough a fiber optic low latency network) 

Btw the partner was using the beta software, will be probably not a problem for our kind of usage but want to test it by myself. 

Edited by davide445

@davide445 , I can't find any specific community reports for the 2600x and wireless. It technically meets the minimum requirements for wireless but it's definitely a budget CPU on the lower end of the spectrum for VR/gaming. I wouldn't be comfortable taking a guess at real world performance without having it on hand or at least having some user-reports. Its raw clock speed is supposedly equivalent to an 8600k which is generally thumbs up'ed by the community for wireless but it's extra tricky with AMD as there as there are some hardware specific challenges on AMD's architecture - I could see it going either way tbh.

The wireless adapter uses proprietary compression/encoding technologies from 3 separate companies  (Intel, Displaylink, Vive) - it's an IP minefield.

@VibrantNebula the Ryzen 2600X need to be a bit better than the i5-9600 so will see how will behave, but at first we will test the tethered solution to know if the Cosmos is enough for our needs. In any case I can easily upgrade up to a Ryzen 9 3950X that is past any Intel CPU, not sure if the wireless adapter require some Intel specific hw encoding feature. 

23 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

The wireless adapter uses proprietary compression/encoding technologies from 3 separate companies  (Intel, Displaylink, Vive) - it's an IP minefield

Reading about DisplayLink I suppose they sell only to OEM, something we are not. Will be possible to know if the compression used is H264 or AVC based? 

@stvnxu