Using up to 16 Lighthouse 2.0

EnterRealityVR

Hi all,

I'm creating an interactive movie-like experience using the Vive Pro and mocap gear using the Vive Trackers.

As soon as the Lighthouse 2.0 will be again available on steam, I'm planning to buy 14 of them, since I would like to extend the tracking area as much as possible, in theory to 40x10 meters.

Is this something that is still possible to do in SteamVR, or is just an experimental feature that might be removed without warning on a future steamvr update?

Regards,

Nicolas

@EnterRealityVR SteamVR currently supports upto tracking from 4 basestations per SteamVR instance (per HMD) allowing for a chaperone upto 10x10m. It does not currently support larger volumes, and it'd additionally be really difficult to tether the HMD to a PC at larger scales.

The current primary use-case for having more than 4 base-station channels is so that you can have upto 16 basestations operating in the same room without interference (you could previously only have a single pair of 1.0 stations within line of sight).

SteamVR 2.0 Tracking is a Valve technology that we've integrated into our products via a partnership - any announcements about changes to the underlying core tracking system would likely originate from Valve.

15 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@EnterRealityVR SteamVR currently supports upto tracking from 4 basestations per SteamVR instance (per HMD) allowing for a chaperone upto 10x10m. It does not currently support larger volumes, and it'd additionally be really difficult to tether the HMD to a PC at larger scales.

The current primary use-case for having more than 4 base-station channels is so that you can have upto 16 basestations operating in the same room without interference (you could previously only have a single pair of 1.0 stations within line of sight).

SteamVR 2.0 Tracking is a Valve technology that we've integrated into our products via a partnership - any announcements about changes to the underlying core tracking system would likely originate from Valve.

Thanks for the reply.

The idea for me would be to have the possibility to extend the tracking area using a backpack PC ( tested with the Vive Pro and MSI One, works perfectly ), to walk around and interact with the environment, possibly having a Full Body IK character driven by a realtime character using Vive Trackers.

So this is something that Valve, needs to take care of I guess.