Cosmos or Vive Pro?

groslala

For people who tested both Vive Pro and Cosmos, considering the HMD alone (image quality, comfort and ergonomy, ignoring tracking and controllers), which one is the best? I already use Index controllers and it will soon be possible to use the external tracking with both HMD, so I'm only interested in the HMD itself. Some people seem to prefer the Vive Pro screens despite the more pronounced SDE. Is the Cosmos really more comfortable and easy to use? With the recent price drop on the Vive Pro, and every options for a Cosmos with external tracking coming with an expensive kit, I don't know which one to buy.

@groslala I have both Vive Pro (w/2.0 base stations/controllers) and a Cosmos (that I pre-ordered).  The Vive Pro is by far a better quality headset imho.  I find both headsets very comfortable and the audio on both is good.  I like the Pro audio a little better because it has a volume control on the left headphone and a mic mute on/off button on the right headphone.  The Cosmos flip up screen is nice but it's not too hard to shift the Pro screen to your forehead when need be or just shift it up a little so you can peak at your keyboard.  I use glasses (~140x40mm) and both fit within the headsets no problem.

The Vive Pro's oled screens are much nicer in darkish games (better blacks/contrast) than the Cosmos lcd screens.  I recently bought (~$US70) the latest Etsy Gear VR lens mod (google etsy dot com) and this has significantly improved my Pro's clarity and enlarged its sweet spot.  I highly recommend these for Vive Pro users.  I also bought these for my Cosmos but I did not think that the difference was all that significant (although is still was an improvement).  In both cases I have not seen any distortion, nor do I get any eyestrain.

The Cosmos stock inside-out controllers are better than the Vive wands but if you already have Index controllers those are probably the best out there right now.  Unfortunately Valve does not currently ship any Index products to Australia yet but these controllers are def on my radar.

So, I would say that the Vive Pro (w/lens mod) would be best for you right now.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the answer! I am just realizing that the Vive Pro is still one of the best HMD on the market and that no other device relased after it brought any significant improvements. Critics mainly focused on its price and that's the reason why I never considered buying it till now. But its price drop to 600 $ (cheaper than a Cosmos + external tracking faceplate that finally might not be better) could make it the best option for wireless PC VR in the end (I'm trying to build the best wireless VR combo).

• Like 1

Hi, I purchased the cosmos and ended up taking it back had it for 3-4 months was a lot of up and down with the tracking sometimes it was ok others unusable.    Ended up getting a vive pro was a little worried I would notice a lower image quality form the cosmos but that wasn't the case the oled's improved the colour a lot like going form norm screen to hdr and didn't notice any lower resolution, sweet spot is also an improvement for me over cosmos.

Tracking with the vive pro (steam vr 2.0) is amazing even when I thought the cosmos was working fine it wasn't compared to base station tracking almost like a lag or delay on the cosmos.  

• Like 2