Testing Cosmos wireless adapter

davide445

1 hour ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Both you guys should realize that the wireless adapter is pretty CPU intensive and needs a good GPU as well.  I have a fairly strong CPU (i9 9900k w/cooler) and GPU (gtx1080ti, which I will probably look at upgrading later this year to nvidia's upcoming rtx3000 series, maybe a 3080ti?).  While I do not notice much performance diffs on many simple games, more complex flight/racing sims can take a pretty big hit because many of these do not efficiently  utalise CPU multi-threading.  With these sims I get hit with ~20-25% lower performance (fps).  This is the same for both my Vive Pro and Cosmos with the wireless adapter.

Hi,

thanks for sharing this.

Is it true that DR2 switches direct to 45 fps, if it can´t maintain the 90 fps ?

If it is, I don´t want to risk that, so I will probably stick in the wired system.

Or give it a chance, if I happen to find a cheap second hand rig. 

3 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Both you guys should realize that the wireless adapter is pretty CPU intensive and needs a good GPU as well.  I have a fairly strong CPU (i9 9900k w/cooler) and GPU (gtx1080ti, which I will probably look at upgrading later this year to nvidia's upcoming rtx3000 series, maybe a 3080ti?).  While I do not notice much performance diffs on many simple games, more complex flight/racing sims can take a pretty big hit because many of these do not efficiently  utalise CPU multi-threading.  With these sims I get hit with ~20-25% lower performance (fps).  This is the same for both my Vive Pro and Cosmos with the wireless adapter.

That's interesting never read about this. 

Anyway for next customer build we are planning to use a Ryzen 3600X, whose single thread performance is supposed to be better than i9-9900k. Otherwise the 3800X it's even better and didn't cost so much more. 

But interested to know: more than one thread is used for encoding, or just one is loaded? 

9 hours ago, davide445 said:

That's interesting never read about this. 

Anyway for next customer build we are planning to use a Ryzen 3600X, whose single thread performance is supposed to be better than i9-9900k. Otherwise the 3800X it's even better and didn't cost so much more. 

But interested to know: more than one thread is used for encoding, or just one is loaded? 

Sorry @davide445 if you read enough you will eventually find someone who says what you want to hear, lol!  Last time I looked my wireless was only using one core.  Stick with AMD if you want to save $'s but I think you will get better overall VR performance with Intel.  Your $'s so your choice.  Intel is favored by ~90% of gamers (incl VR) so maybe there is a reason for this?  Ultimately, you will need to buy and try this yourself to find out for sure imho.  Good luck mate.

Appreciate using forums to exchange ideas and experiences, a great tool for having informed decisions before investing time and money in a company, where - whoever the company is - are always a scarse resource. Without Vive forum I would not be able even to start using my Cosmos, so thanks HTC. 

Not entering into AMD vs Intel topic, just using a rational methodology for choice: up to the new Zen architecture there was really no need looking at AMD except having a really tight budget, with Zen 1 that switched into a cost/performance topic, with Zen 2 the situation switched on the opposite and even asking for proposal at professional 3d workstation builders they are using 90% AMD builds so far. This might change again with next Intel node. That's real competition, really appreciated and beneficial. 

Edited by davide445

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a Cosmos and Vive Wireless and I would like to chime in. 

Not all PCI-E lanes are the same. Some of them are directly connected with the CPU (Good for Wireless) and some are handled by the Chipset (Bad for Wireless). 

I'm using an i7-3770 (clocked to 4.3ghz on all four cores) and an Asus Maximus V Formula motherboard (Yes.. it is a potatoe on paper but it works well enough with my 1080 Ti).  The first two pci-e slots are directly connect to the CPU and I haven't had too many pixelation events when using the Wireless card on those slots. 

However, if put the wireless card on the other spots, I get constant pixelations, likely due to added latency. 

Right now I'm testing which processes (vrserver.exe, vrcompositer.exe, vivevrserver.exe, vivevrcompositer.exe) I can switch to high priority with Process Lasso as I'm getting some pixelations in demanding games. I want to squeeze as much from my 3770 + 1080Ti system. 

So yeah, all tips and tricks are welcome.

pcie.GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting @RealGM thanks!

So far my interest for wireless it's lowered as priority but for sure will return as interesting feature. 

Looking at my mobo specs seems all the slots except the first x16 are connected to the chipset, so really interesting to know. 

Screenshot_20200319_204150.thumb.jpg.806ad144a8584099b0f01f647e824a16.jpg

Another performance gain I've experienced was related to the Spectre/Meltdown Patch. 

For my i7-3770, I frequently hit 100% utilization, leading to pixelations. 

However, when I disable the Spectre/Meltdown Patch with "Inspectre", I didn't hit 100% utilization as often and have an overall snappier experience. 

****HUGE DISCLAIMER: Please understand the risk of turning off the Spectre/Meltdown Patch. I elected to disable it as it is a single user PC purely used for gaming. But if you run VMs and sharing it with other users online, you should not disable these security patch.