How to have multiple players in the same simulation?

TrevorGage

I would like to run multiple Vive HMD's in the same simulation simultaneously.

I understand about how I only need the two lighthouses.

But how do I connect the HMD's so they are sharing in the same experience??

Can anyone point me to a doc, webpage or just tell me how that is accomplished??

@VibrantNebula @Jad

@TrevorGage There's a couple of separate layers going on here:

• From the engine prospective, it's just standard multiplayer and it doesn't differ from You'd chose a multiplayer SDK or solution that's to your liking and build from there. In many cases, developers will often use the platform SDK for each specific content store (Oculus, SteamWorks... ect)... but when you do that, each store build becomes increasingly different from one another. You can use engines like PhotonEngine to do multiplayer agnostically.
  • What you're describing is co-present VR (co-presence).
    • Co-presence VR is not well supported - it's kind of a happy accident more than a fully supported feature within SteamVR.
  • When doing co-present VR, the worldspace must be anchored and identical for both players. In other words, you can't do things like teleporting because if one avatar were to teleport, their avatars would be in different places relative to the real world distances between the players. Take a look at Hordez - they got around this by having an "on rails" situation where the playspace itself slowly moves through the environment.
  • SteamVR itself is sort of wonky nowadays with how you can have 2 HMD have an identical roomsetup config. Previously, you used to just be able to run roomsetup on one PC, and then you'd copy that chaperone file from one PC over to the other. Nowadays that doesn't really work the same way - Valve has added some error correction methodology that means the chaperones are dynamic and can change without user input. We have an open source project to try and prevent SteamVR from altering the chaperone automatically - that project is hosted here. That said, SteamVR is constantly updating so that system is always changing.
  • Due to the changes in SteamVR, alot of developers are instead building a calibration step into their application where you have fixed reference points in your environment and the player walks around with the controller and calibrates to the fixed points which transforms the worldspace.

There unfortunately aren't alot of instructions on how to do this out there. It's a niche thing and SteamVR has changed alot over the last few years. If you build out your own calibration step - the huge benefit is that you can make it work across all runtimes and VR SDKs - not just limit the solution to SteamVR.

On 3/4/2020 at 2:46 PM, TrevorGage said:

I would like to run multiple Vive HMD's in the same simulation simultaneously.

I understand  reverse phone lookup  nba reddit  pcpartpicker about how I only need the two lighthouses.

But how do I connect the HMD's so they are sharing in the same experience??

Can anyone point me to a doc, webpage or just tell me how that is accomplished??

@VibrantNebula @Jad

thankyou my issue has been solved

• Like 2