Cosmos Aim tracking workaround

Toro

Thought I would share my workaround for the cosmos controller tracking issues with two handed weapons (Rifles etc...)

If you are a cosmos owner with light tracking you would probably allready have encountered these issues and "maybe" worked up a bit of frustration...

The developer of OpenVR Advanced Settings also made something called OpenVR-InputEmulator.

This is where the magic happens!

With the OpenVR-InputEmulator application you can offset your individual controller as you please.

This will plase your left controller sligthly to te right, and rigth controller sligthly up.
By doing this you will then be able to aim through sights without the controllers covering eachother! Took me about 1-2 hours to get used to it, but after that I actually can aim without loosing tracking!

Link: https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator

My best tested settings are:
Left controller: WorldFromDriver Offset to 7.0 on X axis.
Right controller: WorldFromDriver Offsett to 7.0 on Y axis.

If you should need help setting it up, just PM me and I'll gladly help.

Cheers!

• Thanks 3

Hahahaha, I agree with you there @lamyipming. Nicely done @Toro for thinking outside the box. It's truly a sad day if Cosmos owners have to resort to an OpenVR workaround just to get good tracking. We shouldn't need workarounds and hacks to experience what aiming properly should feel like. Will definitely give this a try though to see its effect on two-handed accuracy.

Wait even with lighthouse tracking you still encounter issues like this??? Was planning on getting the cosmos Elite after refunding my original cosmos. But hearing this i might just say f it and wait the 10weeks for a index  @Toro

Yeah this is really sad, I wounder if the developers themselves are actually reading the forum and are aware of this. Because checking twitter all i can see is them praising the cosmos through misleading advertisement. 

Base station tracked devices don't have that kind of occlusion issue if the stations are deployed properly. This issue happens because on an inside out tracking headset, all of the sensors are bundled into the headset and so line of sight is more important. It's much harder to occlude with outside-in (basestation) technology, especially if you're using more than 2 2.0 stations.

49 minutes ago, VibrantNebula said:

Base station tracked devices don't have that kind of occlusion issue if the stations are deployed properly. This issue happens because on an inside out tracking headset, all of the sensors are bundled into the headset and so line of sight is more important. It's much harder to occlude with outside-in (basestation) technology, especially if you're using more than 2 2.0 stations.

Real sad that htc didn't test the headset, or if they did, saw the issue.. ignored it then released it anyways. At this point i just hope they were ignorant and just didn't test the headset properly. 

@LuckDrvien07 - outside in (optically tracked) headsets all have the sensors in one tightly packed location (the headset). Inside-out tracked headsets like basestation tracked headsets have sensors on every single device (a dramatically higher surface area) and thus

Outside-in headsets use machine learning models to make up for their physical limitations. They basically make educated guesses about where the controllers and headsets are when the sensors can't provide good data. Rift S and Quest had the exact same issues at launch - this video does the best job at explaining what I'm talking about. Both Rift S and Cosmos have received numerous updates to the ML algorithms since launch -  Rift S has been on the market longer than Cosmos though. Every single headset that uses onboard tracking cameras have these physical limitations and relies on machine learning to smooth out the experience.

Basestation tracking has a completely different set of drawbacks - primarily that you get far higher resolution tracking at the expense of having to have external base stations that you have to mount and that that can wear down break due to being mechanical devices. Basestation tracking breaks down if you have large reflective surfaces like mirrors.

Optical is convenient and lightweight but has limitations and privacy implications. Basestation tracking is far more robust but is bulky and more expensive.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@LuckDrvien07 - outside in (optically tracked) headsets all have the sensors in one tightly packed location (the headset). Inside-out tracked headsets like basestation tracked headsets have sensors on every single device (a dramatically higher surface area) and thus

Outside-in headsets use machine learning models to make up for their physical limitations. They basically make educated guesses about where the controllers and headsets are when the sensors can't provide good data. Rift S and Quest had the exact same issues at launch - this video does the best job at explaining what I'm talking about. Both Rift S and Cosmos have received numerous updates to the ML algorithms since launch -  Rift S has been on the market longer than Cosmos though. Every single headset that uses onboard tracking cameras have these physical limitations and relies on machine learning to smooth out the experience.

Basestation tracking has a completely different set of drawbacks - primarily that you get far higher resolution tracking at the expense of having to have external base stations that you have to mount and that that can wear down break due to being mechanical devices. Basestation tracking breaks down if you have large reflective surfaces like mirrors.

Optical is convenient and lightweight but has limitations and privacy implications. Basestation tracking is far more robust but is bulky and more expensive.

And yet the Oculus Rift S and Quest inside-out tracking is still soooo much better than OG Cosmos.  Why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes indeed sad, but you have to work with the tools at hand.
@LuckDrvien07 Only affects Cosmos without basestations. (Light tracking).

It's still not 100% accurate in tracking (maybe 68-80% if I would make an estimate), but way better than no offset at all.

I've been so frustrated at times when playing with two handed rifles that I've actually tried throwing the rifle at the enemy... (Note: Does NOT work!) 🙂

But works alot better in games like Contractor$, Zero Caliber, Pavlov and Virtual Battlefield where I mostly have tested.

13 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

And yet the Oculus Rift S and Quest inside-out tracking is still soooo much better than OG Cosmos.  Why?

Facebook / Oculus (Rift S, Quest) 3 months+ couple days; had tracking locked down and removed a white screen blip, with NO upsale (still no upsale to date) lol 🎯 > HTC base Vive Cosmos 9+ months and still going with tracking issues and other downfalls, 5 months after the initial release of the base Cosmos, HTC hits customers with an upsale 🤕🤮🤑