USB 3 Ports Deactivating

dashofweak

Hello,

I am having a problem with the headset, I can’t find anything about it online or in other forum threads. I have also talked with Vive support already and they have suggested posting about it here.

So, the core problem is that when I plug in my headset into the USB 3 port those ports become deactivated when my computer tries to turn on the headset. I know this is the case because I have an external hard drive also plugged into a USB 3 port and whenever the headset attempts to connect to the computer it is no longer read by the computer.

Details:

I used to have all of my VR software installed on the hard drive, however, I reinstalled everything to my internal SSD and the same problem occurred, before it was when the ViveConsole attempted to connect to the headset, this time during the setup screen when it tries to detect the headset. The headset WAS working previously, so this is not a problem with the hardware itself. Both USB 3 ports have been tried, both register the hard drive and with either one, once the headset attempts to connect to the computer the hard drive is no longer read by the computer. The ViveConsole would attempt to connect to the headset, the headset would connect for maybe a second, and then the ports would deactivate, after it deactivates and the headset is read as “offline” the hard drive does appear in the file explorer window again, but once ViveConsole would attempt to connect to the headset again, the cycle would continue. If this cycle continues long enough the USB 3 ports become deactivated until i restart the computer. This does NOT happen if the video port is plugged in but the USB 3 cable is disconnected. On my system I manually start it up from the boot screen and then access my SSD for windows, a note: If my headset is plugged in my keyboard, also plug in via USB but not a USB 3 port, will not register and I will get a “NO KEYBOARD” warning. My graphic card drivers are up to date as well as my usb drivers, I have the most recent version of windows 10 installed. 

Computer:

Processor: AMD FX(™)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz

Ram: 16 gb

64-bit operating system

Motherboard: ASUSTeK M5A97

Graphics Card: RX 570

In addition:

Somehow I forgot to mention i am using a Vive Cosmos Elite

I am aware that by default the computer can turn off USB ports to save on power. That ability has already manually deactivated.

Edited by dashofweak

Probably not the most helpful of comments but i have been having USB troubles for the last week with almost everything on a x570 mobo. looking online i see a lot of complaints about them being under powered so i had to buy a powered usb hub to connect everything to. Only thing I didn't have issues with was my VR because i had that going through a USB 3.2 adapter to USB c and had the connected straight to my GPUs USB C port. not the ideal solutions but maybe one of those options might help

1 hour ago, roadrunner38b said:

I' am having the same issue on Cosmos Elite that worked before.. But mine is a 222 error and it goes on and off saying usb disconnected. I was told its my gtx 760 graphics card. So next week I am going to go buy the GTX 1660. I will let you know if this fix's it.

I am still awaiting new graphics card. But I thought I would add some things I have found out. I did 3 things 1. I updated my motherboard Bio's to the newest version 2. I disabled usb xhci handoff in bios 3. I disabled bios device security. Now my headset works perfectly but in vive console there's a 009 error that stays there. But all works fine. So I have come to the conclusion its a USB problem on some chipsets. I read on this site that this usb card is proven to work well with Vive headsets so I am ordering one.   

https://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-2o2i-usb-3-0-pci-express-card.html

The XHCI hand-off behavior will vary between motherboards. Some may still support USB3.0 speeds by recruiting the CPU's resources. USB ports get very OEM specific because modern motherboards are surprisingly complex. While there are lots of "standards" that mostly play together nicely on paper - the way these standards get adopted and physically wired into motherboards and how that implementation affects performance/compatibly in real-world deployments is a bowl of spaghetti.

Hello. I guess I have a same problem. I have a Gigabyte X570 UD Mobo AMD Ryzen 9 and RTX 2080 Super Video card. All is fine with video card. But the USB 3.0 is not working for Vive ONLY. Detection of connection is failing in setup program and I cant use it. First I think about what communication module is damaged. But my son computer say it's not. Working perfectly on older mobo with older chipset. Now only one way to use it on X570 is use Discrete PCIe USB 3.X controllers. I think that developers should solve this problem as quickly as possible. And sorry for my English.

2020-09-01_01-40-05.png

2020-09-01_01-41-03.png

@BlackOne - if there is a USB-compatibility it's  usually deeply rooted in the motherboard/BIOS way beyond anything Vive (or really any one single company) can externally influence too deeply. It relates to how the OEM is building their motherboards and programing their BIOS . Gigabyte is a reputable brand and I'm simply not very aware of any specifics to those motherboards as I haven't seen alot of Gigabyte customers with issues. I've seen the most issues with Asus boards due to their ASmedia USB technologies.

If you truley think it's USB-controller related. The best thing to do is to purchase this specific USB card: . This brand is recommended by Valve for SteamVR devices: Inateck Express Cards. It's one of those situations where if it works - it will save you from hours of fruitless debugging the cost of ~$20 and a spare PCI-e port.