Can't enable Motion compensation with RTX 3080

ShawnMayer

On 9/20/2020 at 8:03 PM, Michal said:

I thought it's not supported by Cosmos/Cosmos Elite. Are You referring to motion smoothing in Steam VR? Or motion compensation i vive console settings?

Motion Compensation in Vive Console settings. It works with RTX 2080. but not with RTX 3080.

Edited by ShawnMayer

I have had problems with my cosmos elite since I installed my 3080. So I emailed vive about the issues with my tracking, and white outs. They told me that the cosmos is not compatible with the 3080 cards, thats why I'm having tracking problems, and that I should buy another gpu that is in their list of supported cards. Like a 2080ti, or 2060s... basically just told me to spend more money to downgrade. I asked about an update in the near future.... they told me, again, to just buy a new gpu, that's already on the list. Because they couldn't tell me if there will be an update to support the new rtx series. Here is the first response when I messaged about the compatibility:

This is Nathalie, great to hear back from you. 

I appreciate the details provided; please note the RTX 3080 is not a compatible graphics card with the Vive Cosmos Elite, therefore, this is the reason you're having a connection and tracking issues. Please find attached a list of GPU's that are compatible with our products. 

In case you have any additional concerns, please let us know.

When I asked about an update, because I spent a grand on the headset, and another 825 on a new gpu, and that I'm not spending money to downgrade, and that I'm going to want a refund on a vr headset that is now unusable after less than five months, this was their response:

We appreciate your feedback and this is definitely something we'll take into account, once again we apologize that this situation has been disruptive for you. 

Take care, goodbye. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rogue-Reaper said:

I have had problems with my cosmos elite since I installed my 3080. So I emailed vive about the issues with my tracking, and white outs. They told me that the cosmos is not compatible with the 3080 cards, thats why I'm having tracking problems, and that I should buy another gpu that is in their list of supported cards. Like a 2080ti, or 2060s... basically just told me to spend more money to downgrade. I asked about an update in the near future.... they told me, again, to just buy a new gpu, that's already on the list. Because they couldn't tell me if there will be an update to support the new rtx series. Here is the first response when I messaged about the compatibility:

I appreciate the details provided; please note the RTX 3080 is not a compatible graphics card with the Vive Cosmos Elite, therefore, this is the reason you're having a connection and tracking issues. Please find attached a list of GPU's that are compatible with our products. 

When I asked about an update, because I spent a grand on the headset, and another 825 on a new gpu, and that I'm not spending money to downgrade, and that I'm going to want a refund on a vr headset that is now unusable after less than five months, this was their response:

We appreciate your feedback and this is definitely something we'll take into account, once again we apologize that this situation has been disruptive for you. 

Take care, goodbye. 

Its perfectly normal for it not to be supported, i highly doubt they wont add support for the 30 series. Alternitivly it could also be nvidias fault for not supporting the cosmos. who knows.

14 hours ago, Rogue-Reaper said:

Take care, goodbye. 

My Vive Cosmos works good with RTX 3080 without any tracker or visual issue. (But I'm using wireless adapter also. This may be the cause of the difference.)

This is my system

CPU i9-9900k

MB : MSI Z390 Ace

Ram : 16GB / 4200Mhz CL18

GPU : Palit RTX 3080 GamingPro OC

PCI : Vive Wireless PCI-E Card

I can't believe the fact that official supporter said that RTX 3080 is not compatible graphics card. Really??? 

Will they seriously not support the RTX 3080? I sincerely hope that is not true.

The roll out of the 3xxx founder edition cards is still ongoing and as everybody in the gaming world is aware - demand is greatly exceeding supply. Greatly... The care agent is likely x-referencing against a list of confirmed compatible cards that we've validated and we technically haven't validated the 3xxx series yet and provided an updated list to our care teams.

Due to the supply limitations, our ability to make 3xxx specific compatibility optimizations and compatibility optimizations has been impacted. We'll be updating the installer/console to whitelist 3xxx cards because they're certainly compatible from a raw-power standpoint. Verifying and potentially enabling/optimizing specific rendering technologies such as motion compensation will take time to resolve due to the card's supply-chain limitations. There's also the whole SteamVR component to this and we may see patches/updates within their tech-stack as well.

We're only ~1 week into launch - it always takes time for the software ecosystem to catch up to new hardware releases.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

The roll out of the 3xxx founder edition cards is still ongoing and as everybody in the gaming world is aware - demand is greatly exceeding supply. Greatly... The care agent is likely x-referencing against a list of confirmed compatible cards that we've validated and we technically haven't validated the 3xxx series yet and provided an updated list to our care teams.

Due to the supply limitations, our ability to make 3xxx specific compatibility optimizations and compatibility optimizations has been impacted. We'll be updating the installer/console to whitelist 3xxx cards because they're certainly compatible from a raw-power standpoint. Verifying and potentially enabling/optimizing specific rendering technologies such as motion compensation will take time to resolve due to the card's supply-chain limitations. There's also the whole SteamVR component to this and we may see patches/updates within their tech-stack as well.

We're only ~1 week into launch - it always takes time for the software ecosystem to catch up to new hardware releases.

Thanks for your answer!

I'll wait for update!

@Rogue-Reaper - Are you using a Founders Edition or one of of the Branded OEM's variants. There's a decent number of community reports about instability and some community members think it has to do with the types of capacitors that some manufacturers are implementing into their design. This may or may not be related to what you're seeing - hard to say this early into the product launch.

• 2 months later...

Hi Team,

FYI - 30 series cards are now supported.... you need to turn on developer in vive and after the headset updates, turn on CPU priority under the smooth option (still has not compatible message, but after update I no longer drop frames and its good again in beatsaber and other games)

Cheers