Question about eGPU, will it work with my computer?

Wailyem

I have recently received a htc cosmos and I tried to connect it to my laptop, a Dell XPS 15 7590. Problem is that the laptop does not recognize the monitor and I keep getting error 208 (headset detected over usb but monitor not connected). I think the problem is that because the usb port in which the DisplayPort cable is plugged in is not connected to the DGPU. Beyond this, my DGPU itself is not all that great, a GTX1650.

So I am thinking of buying an eGPU to not waste the headset 😞 Have yall ever tried a to run a htc with eGPU? Will it even work? If it does, any recommendations?
I know a laptop is not great for VR setup, but I'm trying to make do with my situation. And since an eGPU is not too cheap, I really hope to do this right.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I really would appreciate any help!

My PhysX Configuration:
912391394_PhysXConfiguration.thumb.jpg.a0514adeecee1d643cf5ee347d8b9d72.jpg
Edited by Wailyem

@Wailyem, I believe your assumption is correct, it doesn't look like the USB port supports the dedicated GPU. I would verify with your laptop manufacturer's using the specific model number of your unit to get an understanding of what the port mapping and wiring look like.

I would generally advise against using eGPUs. It's a completely nightmare to deal with drivers and compatibility and even the most optimized eGPU setups only are able to provide ~80% of the power of the GPU. I can only recall a handful of times in the past few years were I've seen people have success with eGPUs (usually with Razers and Razer core) and it sounded stressful to set up. When you get into less brand specific eGPU solutions, the hardware and driver compatibility get insanely complex.

20 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@Wailyem, I believe your assumption is correct, it doesn't look like the USB port supports the dedicated GPU. I would verify with your laptop manufacturer's using the specific model number of your unit to get an understanding of what the port mapping and wiring look like.

I would generally advise against using eGPUs. It's a completely nightmare to deal with drivers and compatibility and even the most optimized eGPU setups only are able to provide ~80% of the power of the GPU. I can only recall a handful of times in the past few years were I've seen people have success with eGPUs (usually with Razers and Razer core) and it sounded stressful to set up. When you get into less brand specific eGPU solutions, the hardware and driver compatibility get insanely complex.

Thank you for your info! My friend is going to lend me his eGPU and I think that is going to be razor core? I'll try my best to make it work. Is there any tips for setting eGPU up in general or VR specific?

It is so frustrating to have such a nice headset but not be to use it or return it.

• 2 weeks later...