Pro2 Maintaining Contact Off-Head?

jimh20

Hi,

I've had a Vive Pro since first launched, still working well on another computer.  I have a Valve index, also still operating well.

My main interest in VR is flight simulation.  I use P3Dv5.2.  During long flights I use the Captain's privilege to leave the controls for a spell, doffing my headset as I go.

In the case of the Valve Index and the Pro 1 (not requiring the Console software of course), I can leave the headset on my desk for any length of time, safe in the knowledge that when i don it once more, I'll be back in my seat at the controls, continuing the flight.

Not so in the Pro 2.  So far the maximum time I can leave the headset off my head, while it maintains normal contact, is 45 minutes.  I know this may be a peculiar need compared to other types of games, but it is important to myself.

Is there any set limit to the time the Pro 2 can remain in "standby mode" without "switching off"  i.e. presenting me with a black screen when I return to it.?

Regards, Jim

I am now using the version of Vive Console derived from Steam.  I setup a long flight for further testing.  I was very pleased to find the Pro2 still active after more than an hour off my head.  Soon after that I seem to have gone too far for I had a crash right out of Win10.

A little beyond one hour off my head does seem reasonable, so I can live with that.  I just can't sort of abandon the Pro2 as I had habitually done with Pro1 and Valve Index.

I find the Valve Console software hard to like!  Perhaps unfair?

Regards, Jim

For me, the original Console I was directed to worked fully only once.  First time allowed me to choose settings. thereafter the Console appeared as a blank grey window.  A query here in the forum resulted in my being directed to Steam for that version.

The Console has worked normally since, but I don't like the way it blacks out one of my monitors for a moment every time it starts and stops.

28 minutes ago, jimh20 said:

For me, the original Console I was directed to worked fully only once.  First time allowed me to choose settings. thereafter the Console appeared as a blank grey window.  A query here in the forum resulted in my being directed to Steam for that version.

The Console has worked normally since, but I don't like the way it blacks out one of my monitors for a moment every time it starts and stops.

Yeah it blacks out one of my monitors momentarily as well. Same thing my Reverb G2 and Rift S did as well though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Apologies for a very late reply to this thread.  I've found a very satisfactory and low tech. solution to my original problem.  I've purchased a mannequin head, which must be white (or have a white forehead) to react to the Pro2's sensor.

I can now pass my headset to my new co-pilot for as long as I care to, and I can resume control flawlessly.

Regards, Jim

• Like 1