Vive Pro 2 and random black screen each session

Vive pro 2 - random black screen

Every time I go into VR,  after 2 minutes or so, the screen goes black, as if it the display is off. The screen recovers 95% of the time and come back after 5 seconds. After it has done it once, I can be in VR for 8+ hours and never have the problem again. If I exit VR and go back in again, it will do it.

Sometimes the other 5% it can black screen and take 2 minutes for it to recover or just not recover again.

I got a feeling this is Vive Console adjusting something. Quite annoying and can be replicated every single time i go into VR.

Others commented on reddit the same thing happens.

Not overheating as it does it after a couple of minutes and perfectly fine after that.

Latest Steam VR BETA, Vive Console BETA and latest firmware on hardware.

Does this on both wired and wireless so it's not the link box either.

Please help, it's the major issue I have with this headset.

Can you do one thing for me? Next time you encounter the black screens, take notes on the timestamp and send me a log via vive console after.
Let me check if there's anything from the log we can identify with.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C.T. said:

Can you do one thing for me? Next time you encounter the black screens, take notes on the timestamp and send me a log via vive console after.
Let me check if there's anything from the log we can identify with.

Thanks

Will do tomorrow for sure. I've submitted logs before, but yes I will timestamp the moment it does it. Others must have reported the same?

OG vive never did this, which makes me feel it's the Vive Console software.

Black screen in every VR session.

It is mostly after about 2 minutes of turning VR on. It can also be 30 minutes into a VR session, but it will do it every single time.

Black screen occured at 12:05pm. It will go black for 5 seconds, then normally turn back on and be absolutely fine for 8+ hours. Sometimes it has hung on a black screen and taken 2 minutes to come back on again. Sometimes it never recovers and I have to unplug the HMD from the battery.

It does this on both wired and wireless.

This time, for the very first time since owning the VP2 on release day, it went to a black screen and I never had this before... the screen FLIPPED horizontally, so the image was backwards. Also, the colours messed up too. It stayed like this, but I could see the screen hadn't frozen, as I was able to open notepad and type, but all whilst the screen was flipped horizontally. Never had this issue before and I can use VR every single day, sometimes in VR 2 hours or sometimes 8 hours.

Logs have been sent, I got this error whilst sending it, but it has worked.

I took some photos through the lense. I was working in VR with SteamVR as a black background and using OVR Toolkit which allows me to have my 3 monitors in VR. After it went to a black screen at 12:05pm, you can see the images are flipped horizontally, but also changed colour to purple and it never recovered. I had to power off my HMD to fix it again.

https://imgur.com/a/QSNhfJu

20 hours ago, C.T. said:

Thanks, I'll get back to you shortly 

I had a response, simply being asked to send it back for repair. I am worried though due to all the posts on here....

Hi Anna,

Yes, those details for my address are correct.

The problem with sending the Vive Pro 2, it will go to Romania and I'm seeing a lot of posts from people sending their devices and it taking a long time. Then only to get them back stating no issues found, no repairs were done.

My issues:-

• Horizontal black lines in the left eye have gone for now.

• Ghost image in the left eye has gone for now.

• Audio buzzing noise has always been there and still is.

• Black screen for 5 seconds once in every VR session, this has always been the case and can be replicated after 2 - 30 minutes. When it happens, the screen goes black and will normally come back on and be absolutely fine again.

• The report I sent yesterday was to state at 12.05pm when the black screen occurred so you can check the logs to see what is happening. This time, the screen flipped horizontally and the colours changed. That was the only time it ever did that.

I know my Vive Pro 2 will be gone for many weeks and I am concerned about all the other reports online from other customers that returned their HMDs. As stated above, some of the problems come and go. If the technicians receive this headset, they will say no repairs are required because they can't find a problem. This is why I took photos to record what has happened.

https://i.imgur.com/W6EJE7Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7UXwODe.jpg

Kind regards,

Simon

54 minutes ago, AmazingTechVR said:

I had a response, simply being asked to send it back for repair. I am worried though due to all the posts on here....

Hi Anna,

Yes, those details for my address are correct.

The problem with sending the Vive Pro 2, it will go to Romania and I'm seeing a lot of posts from people sending their devices and it taking a long time. Then only to get them back stating no issues found, no repairs were done.

My issues:-

• Horizontal black lines in the left eye have gone for now.

• Ghost image in the left eye has gone for now.

• Audio buzzing noise has always been there and still is.

• Black screen for 5 seconds once in every VR session, this has always been the case and can be replicated after 2 - 30 minutes. When it happens, the screen goes black and will normally come back on and be absolutely fine again.

• The report I sent yesterday was to state at 12.05pm when the black screen occurred so you can check the logs to see what is happening. This time, the screen flipped horizontally and the colours changed. That was the only time it ever did that.

I know my Vive Pro 2 will be gone for many weeks and I am concerned about all the other reports online from other customers that returned their HMDs. As stated above, some of the problems come and go. If the technicians receive this headset, they will say no repairs are required because they can't find a problem. This is why I took photos to record what has happened.

https://i.imgur.com/W6EJE7Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7UXwODe.jpg

Kind regards,

Simon

Yes, your ticket is visible to me.
I'll suggest to proceed with the repair to resolve your issues if I were you. 

• Thanks 1