[Vive Hand Tracking SDK v 1.0.0] [SteamVR Plugin v 2.7.3] Unity Editor crashes when exiting from Play mode

DDD_KK

I imported SteamVR Plugin and Vive Hand Tracking SDK from the following URL into an empty project I created in Unity Editor 2020.3.19f1.

A When I opened the sample project(Assets/Samples/VIVE Hand Tracking SDK/1.0.0/Sample/Sample.unity) and enter Play Mode it worked fine, but when I exited Play Mode, Unity crashed.

Please let me know if there is a way to exit Play Mode normally.

• Editor used
    • Unity Editor 2020.3.19f1
  • SDK used
  •  Operation procedure
    1. Connect the VIVE Pro and launch SteamVR from Steam.
    2. Create an empty project in Unity Editor 2020.3.19f1.
    3. Import SteamVR Plugin 2.7.3.
    4. Import Vive Hand Tracking SDK 1.0.0.
    5. Follow the instructions in the window to complete the settings.
    6. Open the sample project(Assets/Samples/VIVE Hand Tracking SDK/1.0.0/Sample/Sample.unity)  and enter Play Mode.
    7. Exit Play Mode after confirming that virtual hands are displayed.
  • Expected result
    • Exit play mode normally.
  • Actual results
    • Unity Editor crashes.

I'll add my PC specs.

• OS : Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
  • CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
  • Memory : 32768MB RAM
  • GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Hi @DDD_KK

Thanks for the report.  Have you tried to use UnityXR instead of SteamVR plugin? We recommend to use Unity 2020 with UnityXR.

We have an editor script WindowsPlayModeMonitor.cs, which is used to solve this problem when using UnityXR. However the script is not enabled when you don't have the UnityXR package.

You can try to copy the script in your project and remove the #if clause at beginning of the file.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, zzy said:

Hi @DDD_KK

Thanks for the report.  Have you tried to use UnityXR instead of SteamVR plugin? We recommend to use Unity 2020 with UnityXR.

We have an editor script WindowsPlayModeMonitor.cs, which is used to solve this problem when using UnityXR. However the script is not enabled when you don't have the UnityXR package.

You can try to copy the script in your project and remove the #if clause at beginning of the file.

Thank you very much for your response.

I want to use HandTracking and VIVE Tracker in the same time, does UnityXR support these?.

Edited by DDD_KK

Hi @zzy

I misunderstood that I remove SteamVR Plugin and install OpenXR.

Am I correct in assuming that I remove the #if clause at beginning of WindowsPlayModeMonitor.cs from the unity project state of my initial post?

That means I don't have to delete SteamVR Plugin.

Edited by DDD_KK

Hi @DDD_KK

Yes, for initial state of your project, you need to copy the script and remove the #if clause.

If you don't want to change the script, another solution is to install Unity XR packages (while keeping SteamVR plugin). SteamVR will setup UnityXR for you.