Can't Install Vive Desktop App

Quickie

Okay, there's a few things going on here, let me try to address them one by one.

Error 306: Compositor error, is as you might have guessed, a compositor error. What this means is that the software layer that governs the generation of what you're actually seeing in the headset is not working properly. There's a number of reasons why this might be, but it generally boils down to incorrect settings. An HMD is basically just another display. Through the magic of SteamVR, however, it is not treated the same as your monitors are. This is where the problem arises: If windows decides to take control of the HMD and treat it as a normal display device, then SteamVR can't use it's drivers and the compositor fails.

Make sure SteamVR is in Direct Mode. Make sure that you don't have duplicate displays or something hijacking the HMD. Make sure your monitor is plugged into the same GPU as the Vive is.

Next thing: C:\ProgramData is a folder on your computer. If it was not there, your computer would not work since it's the default path for application data that is not user specific. However, it IS a system folder so it's hidden, which is probably why you can't see it. 

Moving on: You say you're not on a network. Does that mean you don't have internet access? You'll need that to download Steam and install it. Even though there is an offline installer, it still has to "phone home" at least once to check versions and confirm the DRM that's built in. (There's probably other processes going on too, but the point is, it's required.)

I'll stop there for now, and wait for your reply and we can go from there.

Thank you!

-John C

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey John,

Thanks for jumping in to try and save my sorry butt.

Ok, I get what you're saying about the HMD possibly being hijacked by windows. My primary monitor is a Dell S2716DG running at 2560 x 1440 native resolution and 144hz refresh rate. The Nvidia control panel sees the monitor and it's settings. Interestingly, Win 10 system display only sees a generic PNP monitor at 2560 x 1440 and 60hz refresh. Of course, I have no idea how to make Win 10 see the Dell as other than a generic PNP monitor and I have no idea if that has anything to do with my Vive problem. As far as I can tell from Win 10 settings or device manager - the Vive does not exist.

I generated the a SteamVR report and maybe you can make sense of what's going on from it, but it's way too big to post here. Frankly, this is past my pay grade. Is there a way for me to email you the report, it's pretty detailed about what was happening.

Sorry bout the network comment. I only meant that this is a standalone machine with internet access so in that sense, of course I'm networked, but I am not on a home or fileserver network. And yeah - I figured out that the C:\ProgramData folder was hidden and I unhid it, but it didn't make a difference. 

Oh, and thanks again for giving me help, hopefully someone else will see this and not have to bother you.

- njjediz

• 3 weeks later...

hello all,

I have almost the same problem,

the installation does this correctly without error message, but the live desktop application does not install, antivirus disabled, win 7 is up to date. I reinstalled 10 times without change, in the folder VivesetupPCCLIENT I only have 1 file in and if I reinstalled I still have this file but nothing else, even if I install all the file HTC / bright ... i hope you can help me its done 3 days i spend nights has found a solution ...

• 1 month later...

Hi there, i am having the same issues in finding the msi file during installation. I can find the orginal file from when i installed the softer back in December 2016 but not the new version of the file required for the latest update.

could it be possible to get a valid version copy of the "Setup_VivePCClient.msi" and use that to finish the install.

any help would be great,

cheers

Brian

Unfortunately, we can't distribute software components individually, nor do I think that would resolve the issue. As mentioned above, are you running the installation as an Administrator on the PC for full access? Have you whitelisted the software or disabled security programs?

Thanks,

-John C

hi there,

i have been looking at my event logs and came over this when i tried to run the software in administrative mode

Product: Viveport Desktop (x86) -- Error 1714. The older version of Viveport Desktop (x86) cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  System Error 1612.

Is there a simple fix for this or does it mean a full windows 10 re-install. Or do you have a guide for editing the registry to clean out the old version of the vive software.

what is my best option,

cheers

Brian

• 1 month later...

I also cannot install the Viveport App and am running into the same issue as others in this thread. I can't seem to full uninstall Viveport to do a fresh install, and it seems to be trying to hunt down previously installed packages that no longer exist. From the start, Viveport has never really worked for me and always tried to update when closing it. Now it is hunting for Dokan_x64.msi and Setup_VivePCClient.

I am having the same issue where my system is looking for files in the package cache that do not exist. I am looking at the hidden folders and all the package caches and it is not there. 

How does one fully uninstall this to do a fresh install?