Devs, Please Unlock NATIVE RESOLUTION and Higher Bitrate in Business Streaming!

Tausendberg

3 hours ago, thedrone said:

Guy Godin (developer of virtual desktop) has said that anything above 100mbps is entering the realm of diminishign returns, so I wouldn't assume that 200mpbs offers double the quality.

I know he's said that, but he's unfortunately very wrong on that. I've talked to him directly about this in the past to correct this misunderstanding... while it's true for some titles and scenes, others that have a lot of vegetation or dark areas, for example, the Forest and Horizon Zero Dawn, look much, much better at 200Mbps vs 100 on Virtual Desktop or Airlink. Even 200Mbps isn't enough for the Forest, although it's not terrible.

• Like 1

"100mbps is entering the realm of diminishign returns"

It is true that there's diminishing returns in one case, but 100mbps is an arbitrary number. I'm assuming Guy Godin is saying 100 mbps relative to the Oculus/Meta Quest 2 but in order to have the same compression ratio at the Focus 3's native resolution, you would need at least 170 mbps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed this needs to change and is getting silly slowly. I understand that it is hard to develop a product on this scale in competition to the giant moneybags that Meta has, but me, same as many people here, invested in this really great piece of kit under the assumption that it will eventually be the professional and "well supported underdog". And indeed many great features have been teased, but not implemented yet. We need this to change fast, because at the present time it is hard to justify showing streamed experiences to customers when they have seen the visuals of quest 2 before. It's especially frustrating because we all know that the hardware in the focus 3 is easily more capable than Quest 2, and that there would be so many great features that could be explored especially in conjunction with (face / body) trackers. Please hurry up, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Even at the highest setting Business Streaming looks awful when compared directly to AirLink on Quest 2.  It's blurry and the Quest 2 is really SHARP.  A shame, since the FOV and true resolution native is great.

20 hours ago, Raeldor said:

Even at the highest setting Business Streaming looks awful when compared directly to AirLink on Quest 2.  It's blurry and the Quest 2 is really SHARP.  A shame, since the FOV and true resolution native is great.

Have you tried it with Vive Business Streaming as a wired connection? I'm curious if people are seeing a difference between wired and wireless, because I'm very sensitive to compression artifacts and loss of clarity, and my issue with wireless streaming is more about responsiveness and occasional judder when shifting sideways and forward more so than clarity. It actually looks very good to me - not as clear of course as my Reverb G2 but I don't expect it to. I've played quite a few games with the Focus 3 wired and wireless and the image quality hasn't really been a concern. Don't get me wrong though, I'm all in favor of more detail if we can get it... 🙂  I would think especially with Wifi 6 being enabled those limits would be lifted to some degree.