super loud coil whine when use VIVE Streaming Hub

dynameis tw

when launching and exiting Strem VR or duing streaming but no load(like HMD sleeping) my PC make super cazy coil whine,never happend on other application or using Rift-S

only happend when use  VIVE Streaming Hub

-----------------------------------------------

my specs:

I9-13900K w/ Z690(ROG)

RTX 4090

DDR5 64G 6000CL30

FSP 1000W PCIE 5.0 PSU

• Like 1

Ugh, you're kidding me. This has been complained about by myself and multiple people in the focus 3 thread.  I was hoping it wasn't going to have the same issue with my XR...

When the HMD sleeps it just loads the cpu cores - it's insane

I have been begging Godin on their discord to get VD out - focus 3 and xr elite build will be out this month.

HTC, this is extremely disappointing.  Also heard that the HTC menu spawning on the opposite side of the room is a problem that carried over as well, lovely.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:03 AM, xadamadax said:

Ugh, you're kidding me. This has been complained about by myself and multiple people in the focus 3 thread.  I was hoping it wasn't going to have the same issue with my XR...

When the HMD sleeps it just loads the cpu cores - it's insane

I have been begging Godin on their discord to get VD out - focus 3 and xr elite build will be out this month.

HTC, this is extremely disappointing.  Also heard that the HTC menu spawning on the opposite side of the room is a problem that carried over as well, lovely.

This 99% is software issue on streaming hub I believe , if is Steam VR issue then ALVR or VD should have same problem

HTC should do better on software otherwise META wins , specifically they drop quest pro price 

On 3/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, dynameis tw said:

when launching and exiting Strem VR or duing streaming but no load(like HMD sleeping) my PC make super cazy coil whine,never happend on other application or using Rift-S

only happend when use  VIVE Streaming Hub

-----------------------------------------------

my specs:

I9-13900K w/ Z690(ROG)

RTX 4090

DDR5 64G 6000CL30

FSP 1000W PCIE 5.0 PSU

I have almost exactly the same PC specs (i9 13900k/rtx4090/32Gb 5200 ram/z790 mb/1000w psu) and so far I have not noticed this.  Maybe I have not noticed this because my cpu is water cooled and I have heaps of case cooling? 

I am currently having some problems exiting SteamVR and the steamer, and/or going back and forth from SteamVR to the Lobby.  Both tend to hang my win11 PC and I need to do a forced restart.  The workaround I figured out is to close SteamVR by pressing the x button it closes VR and I then need to quickly close/exit the streamer app.  Then all's well.  I am working with Vive Support to try to find a solution to this.  Maybe you can do the same with your issue(s), if you are not already doing so.  Thanks mate and cheers.

3 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

I have almost exactly the same PC specs (i9 13900k/rtx4090/32Gb 5200 ram/z790 mb/1000w psu) and so far I have not noticed this.  Maybe I have not noticed this because my cpu is water cooled and I have heaps of case cooling? 

I am currently having some problems exiting SteamVR and the steamer, and/or going back and forth from SteamVR to the Lobby.  Both tend to hang my win11 PC and I need to do a forced restart.  The workaround I figured out is to close SteamVR by pressing the x button it closes VR and I then need to quickly close/exit the streamer app.  Then all's well.  I am working with Vive Support to try to find a solution to this.  Maybe you can do the same with your issue(s), if you are not already doing so.  Thanks mate and cheers.

I use 360 AIO for 13900K 

the coil whine usually happend when cpu has weird load , you can check when you launching StreamHub your CPU cores(some cores)  are loaded to 100% ?

---

I don't have your hang issue, at least enter and leave streamVR lobby 50 times not issue (except coil whine)

my OS is Win11 22H2

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dynameis tw said:

I use 360 AIO for 13900K 

the coil whine usually happend when cpu has weird load , you can check when you launching StreamHub your CPU cores(some cores)  are loaded to 100% ?

---

I don't have your hang issue, at least enter and leave streamVR lobby 50 times not issue (except coil whine)

my OS is Win11 22H2

I don't see any cpu core spikes or whine, just the crazy behavior when I go in/out of lobby and try to start a different Steam app. and/or try to exit.  All very strange.  I have tried uninstalling the steamer hub app (PC and headset apps) but this has not made any difference.  When I first go into steamVR I get  a message that a steamer update is available and to connect my headset/PC with a usb cable but everytime I do this I get a message that says says this has failed.  So. I don't know what to do and Vive support have not got back to me yet.  Maybe I need to bite the bullet and do a factory reset and try all this again?

18 minutes ago, TomCgcmfc said:

I don't see any cpu core spikes or whine, just the crazy behavior when I go in/out of lobby and try to start a different Steam app. and/or try to exit.  All very strange.  I have tried uninstalling the steamer hub app (PC and headset apps) but this has not made any difference.  When I first go into steamVR I get  a message that a steamer update is available and to connect my headset/PC with a usb cable but everytime I do this I get a message that says says this has failed.  So. I don't know what to do and Vive support have not got back to me yet.  Maybe I need to bite the bullet and do a factory reset and try all this again?

check my other post in this board , you need plug USB cable for streamer update,  can't do with wifi 

3 hours ago, dynameis tw said:

check my other post in this board , you need plug USB cable for streamer update,  can't do with wifi 

Ya,  I know that but every time I try it it with a usb3 cable following the Streamer instructions, with streaming disabled, I get the same failed message.  I guess it could also mean that it's already updated, who knows?  When I uninstall the streamer app (PC and Headset) it actually reinstalls the headset app even when wireless.  In fact it originally installed it wireless when I first set it up.  I don't understand why Vive cannot just include these updates as part of regular headset updates? 

I also don't see the point in going back to the Lobby to choose other SteamVR (or VivePort) PCVR apps anyway.  As it is right now I need to select SteamVR in the lobby and afterwards stay in the SteamVR void (I never use Steam Home) and this all works fine.  I just need to do my little workaround to properly exit SteamVR and then the streamer app (otherwise my PC hangs).  After that I can access the standalone apps in its lobby.

For now I probably won't worry about all this since when I'm actually in SteamVR everything works great.  With my rtx4090 I can push the streamer quality to ultra and it look very good and still runs everything (even msfs) very smooth.  Bitrates (fixed and dynamic) don't seem to do much as does the TPC option.  I've just set the bitrate to 150mbps, selected Dynamic, and turned on TPC because it says to do so for wireless.  My only problem is that when some of these changes require restarting the streamer app it ends up hanging my PC.  After a forced restart at least the changes have taken ok.  It would be nice if there were a few refresh rates to select rather than just 90Hz (like 72 and 80Hz).  I normally run my Quest Pro at 80 Hz because I cannot see much difference and it lets me push the graphics up a little higher.  

The first thing I asked Vive Support before pre-ordering the XR Elite was if I was going to need to use Virtual Desktop for good wireless PCVR (like the Pico 4) and they told me no, this was not going to be necessary.  I don't know for sure, but that may not be the case, lol!  Pretty early days so hopefully the current software will improve.  Time will tell I guess.  I still think that the XR Elite is a great headset with lots of potential.  I think since the Quest Pro's price reduction to now $100 less than the XR Elite, Vive need to provide solid software more than ever to  stay competitive.  I'm optimistic that they will be able to do this.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:15 PM, dynameis tw said:

I finally got the headstrap streaming app to update.  I needed to reset the headset, including going through all the setup again.  Then instead of starting off with wifi streaming I plugged in my usb3 Link cable, selected do nothing, then started up the pc streaming app.  Then I selected the usb connection option andn then tried updating and it updated the headset streaming app.

After all that, I can't say I noticed any difference.  I did manage to go in and out of the Lobby a couple times without any problems, but eventually my PC hung again and I needed to do a hard restart by press/holding my PC power button.

I've still found it best to initially select SteamVR in the lobby and then select Steam and VivePort PCVR apps from the SeamVR void with library panel.  Then use in-game options to quit or hit the left controller menu button to select stop the app.  

Again, to stop streaming without hanging my PC I needed to do the same thing as before; hit the x button on the SteamVR popup to close VR and once it closed, to immediately hit the x button on the Streamer popup to stop/end it.  Then I just hold the headset power button and select shutdown.  All a lot more complicated to do but at least it doesn't hang my PC.  Hopefully when Virtual Desktop is released this will make all this a lot easier.  Plus it should give you more streaming options as well.