Having trouble enrolling Vive Focus 3 to Vive Business Managment System

Antonio D

I am following these instructions to get my Focus 3 registered in Vive Business Management System. I restart the headset but I can never get it to read the QR code. I press the button 3 times and I see my surrounding(inside out tracking), I look as close as I can to the QR code but nothing happens. Has anyone been able to get the QR scanner to show up after a restart? I have yet been able to reach step 5. Thanks for any

Copy of the Instructions:

Enrolling the device

You’ll need to enroll your devices to use VIVE Business Management System to manage them.

1. Factory reset VIVE Focus 3.

2. Make sure the generated QR code is showing on your computer screen. See Generating a QR code to enroll devices.

3. After VIVE Focus 3 restarts, wear the headset, and then press the headset button three times in succession to enable QR code scanning.

4. Use the headset to scan the QR code on the computer screen. A dialog box opens detailing the enrollment process. Tip: When scanning the QR code: • Have a distance of 15 to 20 cm between the headset and computer screen. • QR code dimensions on computer screen: At least 15 x 15 cm.

5. Follow the onscreen instructions to enroll the device.

6. After successfully enrolling the device, it will show a message saying the enrollment was successful. The device will then go to the start of the setup process (OOBE).

7. On your computer, check VBMS. You’ll see an Enrollment successful message. Click OK.

I've had a set of similar issues with enrolling devices. 

Are you at the correct stage of set-up after factory resetting your headset, with no batch configuration activated? You should see a prompt to connect your headset to Vive Manager. That's when you can activate the QR scanner. The QR scanner should also have a clear interface indicating you're in it.

If it is indeed correctly, the QR code scanning is indeed rather finicky. It didn't work on my desktop monitor but it did when I opened the code on my laptop and adjusting the brightness.

• Thanks 1

@Alex_HTC Thanks for the idea. I will print it out and give it a shot.

@CREWvzw Thats a good point. Whenever I reset my headset I get a message saying Batch Configuration complete but I thought I had removed the configuration. I am going to try what you suggested on a separate focus 3 which I never added a batch configuration too and see if I can get it to scan my QR code.

Edited by Antonio D

I was finally able to get it to work! I was on the wrong version and needed to go through the regular setup process then update the focus 3 to most recent. Then I reset the headset and was able to use QR scanning.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of us had a similar experience and it was due to entering incorrect information into the "Device Name" text field. We interpreted this as naming the headsets we were enrolling, but when trying to enroll the headsets the MDM would not scan the QR code or give any type of notice that the field was incorrect. Any other field will prompt you to correct your inputs

Make sure to enter your device type into "Device Name" (VIVE Focus 3 for example) 

On 4/18/2023 at 9:32 AM, thejameshay said:

A couple of us had a similar experience and it was due to entering incorrect information into the "Device Name" text field. We interpreted this as naming the headsets we were enrolling, but when trying to enroll the headsets the MDM would not scan the QR code or give any type of notice that the field was incorrect. Any other field will prompt you to correct your inputs

Make sure to enter your device type into "Device Name" (VIVE Focus 3 for example) 

After writing this yesterday, I received an update to 5.0.999.760 and was able to easily enroll a headset through the new MDM Setup menu on first try. I named the device how I wanted and did not have to enter the device type in the "Device Name" text field. Glad to see this working now! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm facing issues when reading the QR code it gives me an error:

Failed: invalid json content

Has anyonen faced the same issue? I updated the Focus 3 to the latest build and did by the instruction:

2. Make sure the generated QR code is showing on your computer screen. See Generating a QR code to enroll devices

When i'm scanning the code i get that error. I have tried different device names etc. with no success. Any ideas?

On 5/24/2023 at 11:43 AM, klasdjl said:

I'm facing issues when reading the QR code it gives me an error:

Failed: invalid json content

Has anyonen faced the same issue? I updated the Focus 3 to the latest build and did by the instruction:

2. Make sure the generated QR code is showing on your computer screen. See Generating a QR code to enroll devices

When i'm scanning the code i get that error. I have tried different device names etc. with no success. Any ideas?

I haven't encountered that, but you can scan the QR code with your phone and view the contents. You can then vet if it's correct JSON.

The JSON should look something like this (sensitive content replaced)

{
    "D": "DEVICE NAME (AS INPUTTED)",
    "U": "ORG NAME",
    "E": "ENROLLMENT PLATFORM PORTAL",
    "K": "KEYCODE (I ASSUME)",
    "W": "WIFI:S:SSID;T:WPA;P:PASSWORD;"
}

As it's simple plaintext, make sure you avoid characters for your DeviceName, WiFi SSID and WiFi password that are used in JSON syntax such as apostrophes, brackets... 

• 2 months later...